Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living
Share your recipes here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2011 at 6:32 PM
Replies (271-278):
Chillisarah
by Hippie Bombshell on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Chillisarah
by Hippie Bombshell on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Chillisarah
by Hippie Bombshell on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Homemade Whipped Cream

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/kitchen-basics-whipped-cream

Whipped cream

copasetic1
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 6:15 AM

The easiest "recipe" I ever made up:

Mix leftover rice, a couple of cans of beans, I like black and pinto, a jar of salsa. Sausage, if you want. Slice the sausage, mix it all up, simmer or bake until hot. Add cheese of choice. Beans and rice!

copasetic1
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Glazed parsnips and carrots:

scrub the veggies, don't peel. Cut on the diagonal. Squeeze in the juice of an orange. Sweeten with honey or sugar to taste. Add a couple of pats of butter. Simmer until just done. This is very pretty, and very tasty. Even kids love it. You can add a touch of fresh ginger, if you like.

If you have not tried parsnips, they look like blonde carrots. They have a floral, earthy flavor. Really big ones tend to be too fibrous. They are really, really good, and a nice change of pace.

copasetic1
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Yum. I want to eat at your house!

Quoting Chillisarah:

Vegetables Wellington Redux

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/vegetables-wellington-redux/

Vegetables Wellington Redux 

copasetic1
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 6:09 PM

It isn't this hard. Real yogurt doesn't have, and doesn't need, gelatin. I've been making it for almost 40 years now.

Smaller batch:

4 cups milk (higher the cream content, the sweeter the yogurt)

3 T active, plain yogurt. you can also order powdered yogurt starter on line. I have never done so.

Heat the milk to 180 degrees.

Allow to cool to 110 degrees.

Mix 1 cup warm milk into your starter yogurt, then mix that back into the rest of the milk. Pour into containers of choice. Cover. Keep undisturbed in a warm place for 5 - 10 hours. The longer you let it sit, the more sour it becomes. When it is a thick as you want, refrigerate.

To make Greek yogurt: Strain whey out until it is thicker. Cheesecloth is great for this.

To make yocheese ( like cream cheese, but more sour): let it drain until it is a thick as cream cheese. Add minced onion, garlic, herbs, whatever you want.

I make all my own fruit jams with very low sugar. They are wonderful added to a serving of yogurt.

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I've made my own yogurt!    Not the flavored stuff you'd find in the store, but the plain yogurt that you can add your own healthy fruit purees or flavorings. I don't have any special equipment but a crock pot...that's right, a crock pot.

I found this great idea on http://crockpot365.blogspot.com!

8 cups (1/2 gallon) milk

1/2 c. plain yogurt with active cultures

1 envelope unflavored gelatin (optional)

Put the milk in your crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours. Unplug crock pot and leave it sitting undisturbed for 3 hours. Scoop out 2 cups milk; add plain yogurt and gelatin to this milk and whisk until well mixed. Return mixture to the crock pot and whisk gently until well mixed. Cover crock pot. Wrap in 2 large bath towels and let sit for 8 hours (I let mine sit overnight).

If you'd like a thicker yogurt without using the gelatin, pour mixture into a cheesecloth bag and let sit for several hours to drain.

Remember to save 1/2 cup of your homemade yogurt for the next batch!

Here are some pics of the process:

8 cups of milk, heated for 2 1/2 hours in the crock pot, then unplugged and left to sit for 3 hours.

whisking in the plain yogurt (I made a small mess LOL)

wrapped up for the night!

....and PRESTO! We have yogurt!

I store the yogurt in an airtight container in my refrigerator. It's good for 7 to 10 days.

copasetic1
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Best Peanut Butter Cookies Ever. And gluten free!

1 cup peanut butter, your choice

1/2 - 3/4 c sugar. The original recipe calls for 1 cup.

I egg, lightly beaten

1 tsp vanilla, optional.

Mix the above ingredients thoroughly. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray. Make 1 tablespoon size cookies, put on the baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Dipping the fork lightly in sugar, press down a little on the dough, making a nice grid pattern. You can also use coarse salt for this, for a salty-sweet cookie. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until they are getting brown around the edges, and are set, about 10 minutes. Once they are out of the oven, let them cool for 1 minute, then put cookies on rack to cool.

These are delicious with a few minin chocolate chips pressed into the tops.

The are my favorite peanut butter cookie by far!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)