Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Were/are you more or less natural during pregnancy than you expected?

Posted by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - How natural were you during pregnancy?

5 Reasons I'm Already a Terrible Mom

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on February 29, 2012 

pregnant

The contrast in the idea of the kind of pregnant woman I thought I was going to be and the kind of pregnant woman I actually am is stark. I used to envision myself as the type of lady who would do yoga nine times a day, who wouldn't come within a four-mile radius of a bottle of Windex, and who would drink green juices every morning. (I even bought the juicer.)

But shortly after I got pregnant, reality set in. And reality, my reality at least, simply isn't conducive to this type of behavior. My reality involves a snooze button, an obnoxious train ride twice a day, a full-time job, and a dusty apartment that often needs Swiffering. Yoga classes and green juices rarely, if ever, make their way into my life.

My vision wound up just being a fantasy. And that's okay. I hope. 'Cause I'm doing a whole mess of things I never thought I'd do when pregnant -- things that might, according to some, already make me a bad mom.

Things like this:

I sit in front of a computer or laptop approximately 700 hours a day. Yay, radiation! I've managed to stay away from X-rays and (usually) microwaves, but the computer thing is just unavoidable. There isn't hard research that says that my baby is being beamed with super carcinogenic rays or anything, but common sense tells me that it can't possibly be good.

I use Windex. There, I said it. I've managed to make the transition to all other natural cleaning products, but Windex is the one I'm having the most difficulty parting with. It makes everything so shiny. It's a fact. There isn't a product out there that does what Windex does (I'm looking at you, Method glass cleaner). And until I can actually hold my child, I'm pretty sure I'll be holding a bottle of Windex.

I stress out. This one is unavoidable, but in my fantasy, Earthy, Natural Pregnant Nicole Fabian-Weber was chronically stress free. And, randomly, always wearing white, flowy things. I try to keep frustrations and stress to a minimum (and yoga would probably help), but it isn't always easy. And I'm a little nervous it's messing up my baby.

I occasionally have a little coffee. Even though I asked my doctor and she it was okay in small amounts, I really wanted to try to go the entire nine months sans caffeine. But, some days I just can't, and poof, a few splashes of regular wind up in my decaf.

I've highlighted my hair. This is the one that I feel most guilty about (and then the guilt turns into stress, etc. etc.). Again, I asked my OBGYN if it was cool and she said it was (highlights, no bleach), so of course I went for it. Sometimes it makes me sad that I didn't have the will power to be the au naturel version of myself who just went with her brown hair the entire time. But then I look in the mirror. And all I can see are my roots. And roots stress me out.

Were/are you the kind of pregnant women you thought you'd be? Were/are you more or less natural than you expected?

by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM
I took prenatal yoga once a week, had no caffeine and used no chemical cleaners the whole time I was pregnant. Sure I had to be around computers for my job, but I also walked outside on the trail at work everyday at lunch. I took Bradley Method classes and followed the diet (well mostly, there were a few ice-cream days!).
All in all, I was pretty green and will be even greener with the next!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM
I did yoga, hiked, no chemicals or meds, ate healthy(for the most part). I too was pretty green and will be even more so next time around. We have already improved since the last one. I will also use a midwife again with no drugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalmonBerry87
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM
When I got pregnant is when we STARTED going green. I went on a lot of walks, still used conventional cleaners (green works), John cleaned the litter box, i was paranoid about taking medicine, I only took tylenol for a headache if I absolutely had to, had soda once in a great while, drank green tea NEVER coffee, never got enough sleep cause I was working full time graves, got a massage once a week cause I was in a car wreck only a couple months before I got pregnant, had a million OB appts and ultrasounds (because I hardly gained any weight and had a LEEP so they felt the need to keep checking her to make sure she was growing on schedule and that they wouldn't have to sew me up), I hardly ate any meat cause it made me sick (especially HAM! Yuck!) and I was actually the LEAST stressed I've ever been in my life. I was super chill for my pregnancy. I was freaking everyone (including myself) out lol. And I had a natural birth in the hospital. No drugs just an iv cause I was dehydrated.

So of course I wasn't perfect but I wasn't drinking booze and smoking cigarettes either lol. Ill be a lot more natural the next time around. As long as I still get to wear sweats. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalmonBerry87
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Oh and we also had lots and lots and LOTS of sex. Lol. That's natural right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Umm I wasn't green until after Christopher.

I didn't spend my whole day in front of a computer. I never drank coffee. I'm always super laid back kind of person so I don't think I strssed much. I walked tons and was in better shape than before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luna321
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM

When I was pregnant with Gabe I quite using ALL chemical cleaners at home (but still had to use them at work). I did refuse to be the one to refill the bottle of cleaner and only used it really diluted. I did yoga and walked or swam at least 4 times a week. I went from drinking 8 cups of coffee a day (yeah I was bad) to only half a cup and by the end I didn't have any caffeine.  I never took any pain killers or other meds, just prenatal vitamins. I was more stressed than normal. I used to be a really laid back person but while I was pregnant I was so paranoid about having a miscarriage or the baby not developing right. Then I was afraid of preterm labor or having a still born. I also was eating far less organic foods than I used too. I always thought I would eat only organics when pregnant then moved to a town that hardly has any available right before getting pregnant. I also don't like the fact that the water here is so bad (high in uranium) I never drank it but still I brush my teeth with it and swim and bath in it. Also there are feed lots all over and I've herd on NPR that high methane from cattle can be as bad for developing kids as lead....and as far as lead goes I live in a house that was built in 1918..... I guess I did the best I could and Gabe turned out fine in spit of all my paranoia.

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I was more so with our last one, since we started the green thing before I was pregnant with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)