Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Would you get these edible art supplies for your child?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

I just read an article about about a mom who developed a line of all-natural, completely edible art supplies!

Quote:

By the time her daughter, Savannah, was 6 months old, artistic mom Sarid Ditton already was getting antsy about giving the tot a chance to express herself with finger paints.

Only one problem: Babies, no matter how Kandinsky-esque their talents, have a tendency to apply the medium to their mouths.

“I went online and searched for edible finger paints, but all I could come up with is stuff done with Jell-O or puddings,” Ditton says. “And while that was edible, I wasn’t interested in using something with all that sugar.”

So the Eugene woman decided to concoct her own. The first step was researching the color pigments found in vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices.

After considerable experimentation, Ditton found what she was looking for, finger paints with colors right from nature — turmeric, spirulina, beets, spinach, blueberries and all their mixtures — in a base of baby rice cereal.

“It was 100 percent baby friendly, and Savannah loved using it,” Ditton recalls. “She would sit for hours in her high chair painting, and I didn’t have to hover over her for fear she would ingest something dangerous.

“Before long, friends started saying they wanted some for their children, so I started looking for containers to package my paints.”

That was the beginning of Wee Can Too, a homegrown business that has expanded to include sidewalk chalk, crayons, Easter egg dye and next, face paint.

Would this kind of product interest you? Or would you just whip up a own homemade version yourself?

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Mar. 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Well, I might buy them bc sometimes I'm sort in time. I made my own Easter egg dye last year out if similar foods!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loveeeyore
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I would make my own !

RochelleFS
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Great idea, but I'm mostly a make your own momma. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eco_Momma
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 9:27 PM

We make our own. =)

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I would rather make my own.

eds6619
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM

very cool...if they were cheap enough, yes I would

epilepsymom
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I would love to do it..

I make all my dd playdough.. Its edible and completly safe.. I will NOT allow her to play with that store bought crud!!

luna321
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I make my own play dough and am planing on finger paint now too. I would love some edible crayons though because Gabe loves to color but he gets them taken away a lot after trying to eat them :/

mommaGof3
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM
I'd make our own. Edible is a good idea around here since my kids seem to think everything is food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM
I would make my own
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)