Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

A Living, Breathing Wall of Plants - Right in Your Own Home!

Posted by   + Show Post

A wall in your house that lives and breathes and even purifies the air sounds like science fiction, right? But it's actually a simple and relatively inexpensive project you can do to "green" your home's interior. Watch the video to find out how!

Is creating a living plant wall in your home something you'd like to try? Or will you maybe add a few potted plants to your rooms instead? :)

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (11-17):
conejoazul
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It seems like the video left out a lot of the real "how-to" ... like:

1. What is the coco fiber mat fixed to on the backside? Depending on where you hang your garden wall, you would want to avoid moisture transfer to the room wall surface unless it was all tile, right?
  2. What tips for how to stitch up the coco fiber mat to make the pockets sturdy and to attach it to the backing material?
  3. How long would the coco fiber mat support material be expected to hold up before you might come home to your green wall spilled all over your kitchen floor? I've seen this fiber material used a lot to line hanging baskets - but the baskets always offered some support to the fiber.

Anyway, I like the idea, but feel like I would need some more of the logistics to make it worth trying. I could see it being adapted to a kitchen herb or lettuce garden as well rather than just ornamentals.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM

You'll have to share some pics and tips once you get it going.

Quoting cemcnair:

Love it!! Will be trying this at least on a small scale!!

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting conejoazul:

It seems like the video left out a lot of the real "how-to" ... like:

1. What is the coco fiber mat fixed to on the backside? Depending on where you hang your garden wall, you would want to avoid moisture transfer to the room wall surface unless it was all tile, right?It looks like it's attached to a piece of drywall, so I'm thinking maybe some of the blueboard that would be used behind a bathtub wall.
  2. What tips for how to stitch up the coco fiber mat to make the pockets sturdy and to attach it to the backing material?  How long would the coco fiber mat support material be expected to hold up before you might come home to your green wall spilled all over your kitchen floor? I've seen this fiber material used a lot to line hanging baskets - but the baskets always offered some support to the fiber.  Good question!

Anyway, I like the idea, but feel like I would need some more of the logistics to make it worth trying. I could see it being adapted to a kitchen herb or lettuce garden as well rather than just ornamentals.

muslimahpj
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I would love to do this. I love having live plants in the house.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:42 AM
I cant see the video :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leeshamak
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I would rather have some potted plants~ I've got that dreaded black thumb too;) lol~

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

ohhhh wow....if I didn't have allergies that would totally be in my house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)