Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

See Jessica Alba's answers to YOUR questions here!

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 25 Replies
4 moms liked this

Jessica Alba was kind enough to take the time to answer our questions about her line of natural baby and personal care products, The Honest Co., and about her eco-friendly lifestyle!

Read what she had to say:

Q: What are the easiest, least expensive ways to get started going green?

Jessica Alba: I think that some people feel like going green means an extreme lifestyle overhaul is required, but personally for me it’s really about taking baby steps, doing what you can, and finding eco-friendly alternatives that make the most sense for your family. There are so many manageable ways you can make healthier choices each day, so there’s no right way to get started. You can shop with reusable bags, drink from BPA-free water bottles, or buy organic produce. I am all about convenience, so we have fresh fruits and veggies delivered by local farms to our door. I’m also a big fan of decorating my home with second-hand finds that I can give new life to but also have stories behind them. Honor and I have painted picture frames we got at thrift stores to hang her artwork in her bedroom. Cash and I have refinished vintage furniture for Haven’s nursery. And I’ve spent too many hours on Craigslist searching for couches, lamps, and other décor to refurbish for our home. As you go green, don’t feel pressure to make over everything at once or be perfect. Life is stressful as it is!

Q: How involved were you in the creating and designing of your products?

JA: From the start, I’ve been totally hands-on with our Honest product development. First, I looked to my favorite baby and personal care items that I collected during my travels in Europe and Asia and tried to figure out what worked and what didn’t. Once we developed safe formulations, I tested them at home on Honor, with my nieces and nephews, and on my friends’ children to see if they itched, if the kids liked the scent, and if they really worked. It was important to me too that the brand actually performed.

When it came to Honest’s packaging, I wanted everything from the boxes to the bottles to the diapers to have a fresh, colorful aesthetic. As a first-time mom, I put bland-looking diapers on my cute baby because they were supposedly safer. But then I learned that those earthy diapers were made with a lot of the same petroleum-based ingredients as conventional ones! Because being safe and eco shouldn’t mean boring, I set out to make eco-friendly and stylish designs (ours are literally the cutest disposables ever!) that reflected that I’m a modern, fashionable mom.

My day-to-day life at home really inspired my attention to detail when it came to product design and functionality. For example, some people on the team weren't big fans of the idea for transparent bottles, but as a mom I felt it was important to see how much product was left in the bottle (no more running out unexpectedly midway through bath time). I also didn’t want moms to have to furiously shake and spin the bottle to get out the last drop, so I created a bottle that could stand up on both sides. And, I think it’s great that the packaging embodies our Honest Company ethos of being transparent as a business.

Q: What is your favorite product from your Honest line?

JA: I love them all! But if I had to choose, it would be the Honest Body Oil and the Body Lotion, which I love for my girls and myself.

Q: Currently The Honest Company only offers disposable diapers. Do you think one day the company will include a cloth diaper option?

JA: At the time I first thought of creating The Honest Company, I wasn’t in a place where I could easily use cloth diapers since I was working a lot and traveling almost immediately after having Honor. I needed to have a better, healthier disposable option. But I love that parents use cloth diapers. And, because we’re interested in providing many solutions to meet the needs of parents, we’re definitely considering offering a cloth or hybrid diaper as our company grows.

Q: What products are you working on next to add to your growing line?

JA:
One of the big things we recognized when we started Honest is that there were so many different directions we could go when developing new products beyond our core essentials. How will we expand? It’s very important to me that we have a real conversation with customers, listen to you as parents, and deliver what you need. Detangler, chest rub, layette, or gear…the sky’s the limit! We love the feedback we get on Facebook, Twitter, and the phone, and use that information to create products you want. So we are currently working on quite a few products that we’re very excited about rolling out before the year’s end, from new diapering designs to personal care and cleaning items to expanded technology capabilities. It’s really neat to be nimble and move, change, and grow with our customers.

Q: How do you teach your children to be more green?

JA: Right now, we talk to Honor about being mindful of how much she uses and explain that things can be turned into something else one day, so she learns that recyclables go here and trash goes there. She’s also a great sous chef when we’re cooking, so being part of the dinner process actually encourages her to eat whole foods and develops her taste for fresh ingredients. We do a lot of crafts and DIY at our house like using cardboard boxes to make airplanes and dollhouses, and I’ve seen how our creative playtime together actually teaches her about inventing new uses for things. And, you can always find our family at the local park! We love spending time outdoors, which I think is important if you want your child to appreciate nature and live a green life.

Q: Do you make your own baby food?

JA: Because I like Haven to have homemade baby food, if I can do it, I set aside time on Saturday or Sunday to make it for the entire week. I try to make it with fruits and veggies from the farmers’ market, but that’s not always practical so my trick is to use frozen organic ones I buy at the grocery store.

Q: What "green" hair products do you use? That actually work :)

JA: Honest shampoo and conditioner of course! I love them because it means I can wash and brush Honor’s hair without her whining. The shampoo is truly tear-free and the conditioner is the only non-toxic one that actually gets the snarls out of her really curly, fine hair. Did I mention that it’s safe for mom’s color-treated hair?

Q: What do you use on your skin? It is beautiful.

JA: I use a moisturizer every day, wash my face well every night, drink plenty of water, and avoid processed foods. When I have time to indulge in some pampering, I treat my skin to facials by my girlfriend Shani Darden. But, I also think when you’re happy, it shows. It’s so important to find balance and make time for fun and cuddles -- my girls really make me glow!

I love how down to earth she seems, and I personally am very excited to see what new products The Honest Co. comes out with!

How about you? Have you tried any of them yet?

Stay tuned to see who won the Family Essentials Bundle!

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Thanks! I havent tried any yet but I will if I win!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Audreesmommy757
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

cool

jenniferlee_12
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Thanks

mmtosam06
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM
O are you marketing your product to stores??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TummyTurner
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM
Who won?
philsmom196
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I like the things she does at home, her products should be very good if she takes the same care. I hope to get some soon. The "recycling" and home decor is very comforting and satisfying. Did much the same with my first DS, loved our home. She has time for crafts, we did later. He liked softball at 3, rainbows, collecting wood for the evening fires.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCTVCBN
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Awesome,

thanks.  : )

I haven't tried any of them yet.

Lala3472
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM

thanks, i love to hear ways to make the world better and give them a shot.

larschick
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM
It would be cool to win so I can try out these products. We r going green here by raising chickens & other farm animals for organic eggs & meet. We also grown a garden for fruits & veggies that we can to use all year!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN