Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Excuse Me for Trying to Help...

So, this is more of a rant than anything but please feel free to share suggestions or tips on how you would have handled this situation because I am still a little confused. Today, a friend of mine stopped by to meet DS for the first time. There's quite an age difference between her children and mine...her oldest child is just a few months younger than I am...anyway...she walked into my home and her initial response was, "uhm, are you sure there is a baby living here? It's just too clean." Me, being proud of my home, thanked her and explained that a clean home is very important to us as DS is just becoming mobile and sticks everything in his mouth. I figured that she would joke about it like everyone else does..."Well, come clean my house, anytime..." or something like that. WRONG!!!! She basically started verbally attacking me about the way that I conduct our home. She told me that DS must be completely miserable in a home that is so clean...it looked like he never got to play or enjoy just being a kid...I must have looked stupid standing there trying to defend myself and our home. My son gets to play all the time but there are a few of his favorite toys, in a basket, in the living room that he plays with regularly. While the rest stay in his room. It just makes things easier if there aren't five million things to do at the end of the day...and there aren't a zillion toys to step on and break. Instead of letting it get to me, I smiled and offered her something to drink...She followed me into the kitchen and started her questions, AGAIN! " What is in these 5-gallon buckets?" Because I make my own laundry detergent and fabric softener, 4 gallons at a time, they are more convenient than having 8 gallon jugs sitting around. I explained that instead of buying laundry detergent and softener, I simply make my own. It's cheaper and doesn't irritate DS's skin. So, by that point, not only was I a terrible mother for keeping my house clean, but I was also making terrible choices because "there's just no way that homemade laundry detergent actually cleans your clothes as well as Tide." I was also made out to be "nasty" because I have recycling bins under my kitchen sink for paper, plastic and cans, as well as a container of scraps in my refrigerator for the compost at my SO's mother's house. Recycling and scraps are taken off twice a week to prevent it from piling up so that it doesn't make our home look nasty... Am I really putting my baby in a questionable environment or is she just being ridiculous?!? Should I have done more to defend my home than simply smile and tell her that we were doing what we found fit our needs the best?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
Fields456
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Shit come clean my house! I think it is great you are able to keep your house clean with a baby. Mine looks like a tornado hit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

She was being ridiculous, don't let it get to you!

chrissysnow22
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd get rid of her as a friend ASAP. It's one thing to have a difference of opinion it's a whole other issue to be nasty about those differences. I would have quickly put her out of my clean home before her nasty attitude contaminated it.

I love flylady too!

Btw you sound like a great mama don't let anyone get you down!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vixen42
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I know this is not the question but how do you make your own laundry detergent?

SimplyMomma2011
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Quoting vixen42:

I know this is not the question but how do you make your own laundry detergent?

Is super, super easy!! I found this website a while back and gave it a shot....love, love, love this recipe for laundry detergent...comes out to cost just $0.01 per load of laundry!!!!

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm
SimplyMomma2011
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Quoting Fields456:

Shit come clean my house! I think it is great you are able to keep your house clean with a baby. Mine looks like a tornado hit

If it weren't for Flylady, my house would be a holy wreck...but I do my very best to keep it clean. Some days it frustrates me beyond words but I try...By no means is it perfect...some days are terrible but that's okay, too!! There are definitely days that it is a total mes...she just happened to catch me immediately after cleaning so it was CLEAN!! LOL!!
RochelleFS
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM
I think her behavior was rude,and disrespectful. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Quoting SimplyMomma2011:

Ya mine never seems to be super clean. I even have a sign in my kitchen that says my house was clean last week sorry you missed it
brittani
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM

well i would have laughted in her face and told her about all the harmful chemicals she washes her cloths in lol. She is being dedictulous. You would like a clean home is a good thing. dont listen to her. Shes jealous

eds6619
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM
I wish someone could accuse me of being too clean... Lol. What a rude " friend. "
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)