Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

YUCK!

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I was brushing one of our dogs earlier with the furminator and found a nasty tick that came off after I went over her tail. I don't think it had attached yet, and I didn't notice any others on her or our lab, so that's good. But now I'm freaked because it means we have ticks in our yard and I don't really know a good and environmentally/kid/pet friendly way to get rid of them. I really don't want to spray chemicals, so if anyone has any good ideas of what we can do, it would be greatly appreciated!! :-)

by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nutmeg101
by on May. 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM
I use EcoSmart organic pesticide - safe for kids and pets. Comes in granules or liquid spray.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM
I know chickens will eat them out of the yard. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UMiamiChick5683
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Awesome! Do they sell this at places like Home Depot/Lowe's?

Quoting Nutmeg101:

I use EcoSmart organic pesticide - safe for kids and pets. Comes in granules or liquid spray.

UMiamiChick5683
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Haha! Unfortunately I don't think we'd be able to have chickens, lol. (Though it would be great for the eggs! haha!)

Quoting mommaGof3:

popomill
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM

All I know is that Dawn dish soap is supposed to be really good for getting rid of fleas. Also, try keeping your grass cut short because that will help keep them away, unless you live near a forest, or in the south, or near a forest in the south, then it won't help (I have an Aunt that lives in Alabama and she has fleas and ticks sometimes year round in her yard)

Nutmeg101
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I have bought it at both of those.

The downside is- it doesn't last as long as the "hard" stuff- but for me- I'd rather do it a few times a summer than worry about it. :-)

Quoting UMiamiChick5683:

Quoting Nutmeg101:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on May. 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Good to know! Thanks!

Quoting Nutmeg101:

The downside is- it doesn't last as long as the "hard" stuff- but for me- I'd rather do it a few times a summer than worry about it. :-)

Quoting UMiamiChick5683:

Quoting Nutmeg101:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UMiamiChick5683
by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM
I'll have to keep that in mind because our neighbor said the dogs owned by the crazy cat lady on our street have had fleas recently. I'm betting the ticks came from her animals too because she lets them just roam around the neighborhood. Ugh. Also, we live in Miami so if I remember correctly I think it's year round here too.

Quoting popomill:

All I know is that Dawn dish soap is supposed to be really good for getting rid of fleas. Also, try keeping your grass cut short because that will help keep them away, unless you live near a forest, or in the south, or near a forest in the south, then it won't help (I have an Aunt that lives in Alabama and she has fleas and ticks sometimes year round in her yard)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UMiamiChick5683
by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Awesome! I don't mind using it more often if it solves the problem. I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Quoting Nutmeg101:

Quoting UMiamiChick5683:

Quoting Nutmeg101:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Lol! I know what you mean. We cant have them right now either. It would a win win though, no ticks and free range eggs for you :) lol

Quoting UMiamiChick5683:

Haha! Unfortunately I don't think we'd be able to have chickens, lol. (Though it would be great for the eggs! haha!)

Quoting mommaGof3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)