Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

ants.... how do you get rid of them

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

so my house has little black ants in it.  I am not a fan of chemicals but we can't seem to get rid of them. we found their colony in the back yard and my DH poured boiling water on it as this is what he found online as a natural alternative.  so far we haven't seen any return yet. There are still some in the house.  how do i kill them?  i want them gone!!

Thanks!!

by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsblissmas
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Cornstarch is awesome!

Those nasty little critters FILLED my coffee pot inside and out one day. It was the most disgusting thing I'd EVER seen. My brother told me to put cornstarch out so I put a line of it between the (new) coffee pot and toaster and I have never seen an ant in my house since. That was over a year ago too.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide to use!

cemcnair
by Courtney on May. 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Sugar water will work too, in a tall glass.
I use diatomaceous earth (DE) to get rid of pests in my house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chillisarah
by Hippie Bombshell on May. 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I was just going to post this! having the same issue.

AmberK7409
by on May. 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

it looks like the hot water may have worked and we just are dealing with some of the "worker" ants that weren't in the colony at the time.

Miranda1127
by on May. 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM

IDK...everything I've tried this year has failed :(

chrissysnow22
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Cinnamon worked for me. I have read cornstarch works well also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nana1448
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

We use a product called Terro baits -the liquid is enclosed in a small , clear plastic case. We keep them up away from our pets and small granchildren. Any sighting of ants is gone in two to three days. You can get these at hardware stores or home centers and they are not expensive.  Hope this helps.

Nutmeg101
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I know they aren't "green" but I use these, too. And I only have to do it once in the spring- and they stay gone. I have tried lots of natural solutions- but they aren't as effective or as quick. I cant stand bugs in the house-

Quoting Nana1448:

We use a product called Terro baits -the liquid is enclosed in a small , clear plastic case. We keep them up away from our pets and small granchildren. Any sighting of ants is gone in two to three days. You can get these at hardware stores or home centers and they are not expensive.  Hope this helps.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I use those too.  And for the record my daughter did get ahold of one once and I wasn't sure if she had eaten it so I called poison control.  They are NOT toxic.  Whew!!

Quoting Nutmeg101:

I know they aren't "green" but I use these, too. And I only have to do it once in the spring- and they stay gone. I have tried lots of natural solutions- but they aren't as effective or as quick. I cant stand bugs in the house-

Quoting Nana1448:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
rkoloms
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:52 AM

ground cinnamon! it creates a barrier that they won't cross.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN