Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Need tips on giving up family car...

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

My work is about 14 miles from home by freeway, the sitters house isn't very close right now, and the closest bus stop is about 2 miles away on an unsafe road.  I have two small children, and looking to ditch the because it  has too many mechanical issues that I can't afford to keep fixing, and I can't afford a different one either.  Oh, and I work later than the busses run.  Any thoughts on how i can make this workable?

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaGof3
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Does your sitter drive?

We only have one car and 99% of the time my husband takes that to work and I have to walk with 3 kids on roads that have no side walks. My son is in school so walking is the only way I can pick him up. I make him walk on the shoulder and i push the stroller down the road. When a car comes I have him get up in the grass and I move on to the shoulder and we stop and let the car pass. Its not fun and sometimes it scares the crap out if me but we dont have a choice.

Do you have someone you could car poole to work and home with?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM
That's a toughie. Is carpooling an option?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slvrbtrfly
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Right now carpooling won't work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Can someone pick you up after work?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Some places have a thing where you sign up to be a driver or a rider and they do background checks and help set up an agreed price. I just can't remember what they are called! It'll come to me...
Are you in a larger metro area? I ask bc at least you do have bus services...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMySavage
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM
As I recall, you live in boise, right?

They do have the van pools... now I'm drawing a blank as to what they are called.

What area do you live in? Is everything else within walking distance? Grocery store, etc? I bike or take the stroller just about everywhere. Then again, I live downtown where everything is easily accessible. When I was working, I took the bus during winter months. Last route is at 5pm, which sucks.

Quoting cemcnair:

Some places have a thing where you sign up to be a driver or a rider and they do background checks and help set up an agreed price. I just can't remember what they are called! It'll come to me...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slvrbtrfly
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm in boise. I live by the outlet mall, so not near much. To get to the closest bus stop, or grocery store, I have to walk along gowen rd, and part of it has no sidewalk and the shoulder is too narrow for a stroller. I've made the walk with 1 kid ok, but not with 2.

Quoting LuvMySavage:

They do have the van pools... now I'm drawing a blank as to what they are called.

What area do you live in? Is everything else within walking distance? Grocery store, etc? I bike or take the stroller just about everywhere. Then again, I live downtown where everything is easily accessible. When I was working, I took the bus during winter months. Last route is at 5pm, which sucks.

Quoting cemcnair:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I wish I could help.  We don't have any public transportation out here so a car is a must

LuvMySavage
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Oh, crap. That's out there. Does the babysitter come to your home, or do you drop of the kids?

What are your hours? I'll have to think on it.

Quoting slvrbtrfly:

Yeah, I'm in boise. I live by the outlet mall, so not near much. To get to the closest bus stop, or grocery store, I have to walk along gowen rd, and part of it has no sidewalk and the shoulder is too narrow for a stroller. I've made the walk with 1 kid ok, but not with 2.

Quoting LuvMySavage:

Quoting cemcnair:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMySavage
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM
P.S ~ we really need to get the kids together. I think you have one around my sons age (22 months).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)