Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

How to get rid of wasps?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM
  • 10 Replies

I dont know what it is but for some reason my home is a magnet for wasps!  Does anybody know a green way to get rid of them for good?

What is interesting though, is I noticed that the Blue Jays in my area do eat the larvae, so they have helped to get rid of their nests.  I dont want to spray the wasp nests and end up poisoning the birds.

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nutmeg101
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM
Take a 2 liter bottle- cut the top part off (just where it starts to be straight)- place the top inside the bottom, upside down- so it forms a funnel to the inside- put about 2 inches of some high sugar content liquid in the bottle. (honey/ water mix- soda- sweet tea- sugar water- ) only put in about an inch to an inch and a half. Put it where the wasps are. If you can suspend it from a tree (poke holes through both layers on opposite sides- run a string to hang it). Hanging it up helps keep ants out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Raise their rent? :-)
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM

lol

Quoting suetoo:

Raise their rent? :-)

imspikesmom
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM

i have this problem too. there is a nest just inside my shed on the ceiling. can i knock it down and run? will they just build a new nest?

Jamie12345
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

if you use a wasp spray the wasps will never go to that area again just from the smell of it.  so spraying will keep them away for good from that area that has been sprayed although i know this isnt a green way to do it  ;)

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM

No idea, but I have them too.  They have a nest in the eaves outside of one of my living room windows.  I hate those things!

mommaGof3
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM
They will just build a new one. We had one in our porch like once and my husband is dealthy allergic to them so we dont mess around with them. We sprayed the nest and a couple weeks later they were back BUT if you keep taking it down they will move the nest else where.

Quoting imspikesmom:

i have this problem too. there is a nest just inside my shed on the ceiling. can i knock it down and run? will they just build a new nest?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I am gonna have to try that.

Quoting Nutmeg101:

Take a 2 liter bottle- cut the top part off (just where it starts to be straight)- place the top inside the bottom, upside down- so it forms a funnel to the inside- put about 2 inches of some high sugar content liquid in the bottle. (honey/ water mix- soda- sweet tea- sugar water- ) only put in about an inch to an inch and a half. Put it where the wasps are. If you can suspend it from a tree (poke holes through both layers on opposite sides- run a string to hang it). Hanging it up helps keep ants out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Honestly, the best thing to do is get the wasp spray and spray them, take the nest down and dispose of it, and then clean the area. keep checking the area and other parts of your home because they sometimes do rebuild.

SpiritedDragon
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

That is a good idea!  I don't have a wasp issues, but if someone asks I can tell them!  So thanks!  

Quoting mommaGof3:

I am gonna have to try that.

Quoting Nutmeg101:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)