Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Chemical free spider remedy???

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM
  • 11 Replies
I have so many spiders on the outside of my house this year! What can I do to get rid of them that is safe for a crawling baby and curious Lab? I am trying to keep nasty chemicals out of my life... ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SalmonBerry87
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM
I don't know about spiders. We have them around but not bad. My first thought is vinegar but I honestly don't know if that would bother a spider or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM

smash them.  i dont mind spiders because they eat other bugs.  Lizards usually help that situation.

Amberleigh81
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:09 AM
It's not the spiders that bother me as much as their webs... I walk into a new one every time I open my front door! And they cover my rocking chairs on my porch, so I have to clean then before I sit. Every day. It's annoying. It wasn't like this in the first few years we have lived here. I think it was our mild winter that didn't kill them off like usual.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Jasmine keeps spiders away. Just hang it near doors, windows...where ever. It natural repells them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boonesmom612
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Moth balls. Spiders hate moth balls, but don't put them where kids or animals can eat them  Put in a panty hose and hang up. Good luck

SpiritedDragon
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM

You could also do a jasmine eo too and spray, that may help if you don't water it down to much?  I haven't had any issues with spiders, well they are out in the breeze ways big time.  ick!  

Quoting mommaGof3:

Jasmine keeps spiders away. Just hang it near doors, windows...where ever. It natural repells them.

eds6619
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I don't know.  I know vinegar works to kill ants, but not sure about spiders.

cabrandy03
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Yuck, we have a spider problem too. I finally gave in the other day and sprayed pesticides around the outside of the house.  I'll have to give moth balls and jasmine a try next time.

luzianagurl
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM

honestly? Get a rooster(kinda noisy) or chicken(probably better), they peck at the ground and eat all the bugs, so i figure the spiders too lol...u will have to run it off your porch though lol

terri.a
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Spiders will go elsewhere for the most part if you eliminate their food source (same for snakes).   Keep your home and yard as clean and uncluttered as possible and sweep often, and otherwise eliminate whatever draws various types of bugs (decaying wood, brush piles, clutter, dampness, debris,  etc.). The only spiders to really fear are brown recluses and black widows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN