Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Question about homemade laundry detergent

Posted by   + Show Post

I found a blog with a really basic homemade laundry detergent recipe and I think it's something I'm going to try.  My questions is for those that make your own~  1. do you have to stir the detergent often to keep everything well mixed?

2.  Is it something that could be moved into a smaller container (I'm limited on space so keeping a large container/drum of this isn't feasible in my laundry room)

3.  How long does yours usually last?

Thanks in advance for all the input!

Hippy Chic~Yoga posing, vintage loving, baking, cooking, crafting, gardening, upcycling, reading, mommy of 3 and devoted wifey.  Follow me at http://www.accidentallycountry.blogspot.com/

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
Fields456
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM
Bump for curiosity of replies
VisionSeeker
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:34 AM

borax is toxic?  What is your laundry det formula?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I do powdered too and I don't use toxic borax.

Hippy Chic~Yoga posing, vintage loving, baking, cooking, crafting, gardening, upcycling, reading, mommy of 3 and devoted wifey.  Follow me at http://www.accidentallycountry.blogspot.com/

RochelleFS
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I make the powdered kind and store it in a mason jar, next to the washer. It lasts anywhere from a couple weeks to a month. I don't have space to store large quantities so I make mine a jar at a time. I don't need to mix it except when it's made.

RochelleFS
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Also mine is 1c. coconut castile soap(grated), 1 c. borax, and 1c. washing soda. I use an old coffee scoop filled 1/2 way for normal loads and full for heavy loads. My clothes have never been cleaner. I use fels naptha rubbed directly into bad stains after wetting w/ water and only as a pre-treatment.

VisionSeeker
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I like the idea of coconut!!!

Quoting RochelleFS:

Also mine is 1c. coconut castile soap(grated), 1 c. borax, and 1c. washing soda. I use fels naptha rubbed directly into bad stains after wetting w/ water and only as a pre-treatment.

RochelleFS
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM

For me it seems gentler and leaves less residue. We have very sensitive skin and tend to get hives from commercial detergents or regular soaps. Better for the environment too!

Quoting VisionSeeker:

I like the idea of coconut!!!

Quoting RochelleFS:

Also mine is 1c. coconut castile soap(grated), 1 c. borax, and 1c. washing soda. I use fels naptha rubbed directly into bad stains after wetting w/ water and only as a pre-treatment.

chrissysnow22
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I use the liquid version. You don't have to constantly mix it if you mix it well to begin with. I pour mine into a old detergent container for use. I give it a good shake before use.

It lasts a good while. My recipe makes 10 gallons and you use 1 1/4 capfuls

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:55 AM
I make a liquid one that doesn't require grating soap (it uses liquid Dr. Bronner's). I make a gallon at a time and keep it in an old gallon juice jug (with the label removed and new contents written on). I just give it a good shake before each use. A jug usually lasts about 3 weeks of doing laundry every day (there are six of us in the house).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chillisarah
by Hippie Bombshell on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

This was a concern to me too. I want to make it but I don't want to mess with the borax.  Do you substitute something for it?

JasonsMom2007
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
My last batch works really well. I used washing soda, oxygen clean, baking soda, felis napatha, and kiss my face olive oil soap.

Quoting Chillisarah:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

This was a concern to me too. I want to make it but I don't want to mess with the borax.  Do you substitute something for it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN