Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Do you buy *Natural* non-processed food?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
  • 21 Replies

What do you buy on a regular basis?

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. Like organic fruit-yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM
I avoid processed food yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black.eyeliner
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I eat clean. I buy fresh fruit, veggies, fish and meat. I never freeze them. My herbs are grown on my kitchen window. I eat rice, quinoa, rice noodles, and couscous. Since we are gluten free this makes things so much easier for us. But having a chef for a partner makes all of this so much easier.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM
What's wrong with freezing stuff?

Quoting black.eyeliner:

I eat clean. I buy fresh fruit, veggies, fish and meat. I never freeze them. My herbs are grown on my kitchen window. I eat rice, quinoa, rice noodles, and couscous. Since we are gluten free this makes things so much easier for us. But having a chef for a partner makes all of this so much easier.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black.eyeliner
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:49 PM

For us it changes the flavor. I am more inclined to eat the meat if it is fresh. Fish is a big thing for me with that. I live within walking distance of a small grocery store that gets its veggies from local farmers. A bike trip gets me to the butcher and fish monger. It is easy to stop there on the waqy home from the library or park. Oh and I love tofu. That is another thing we eat a lot of.

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting black.eyeliner:

cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Igotcha! I live too far inland for fresh fish, other than the catfish pond, but I would love fresh seafood!
Would you consider tofu processed?
Also, I apparently suck at tofu. Any tips? Thanks!

Quoting black.eyeliner:

For us it changes the flavor. I am more inclined to eat the meat if it is fresh. Fish is a big thing for me with that. I live within walking distance of a small grocery store that gets its veggies from local farmers. A bike trip gets me to the butcher and fish monger. It is easy to stop there on the waqy home from the library or park. Oh and I love tofu. That is another thing we eat a lot of.

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black.eyeliner
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

You might be shocked how easily you can get fish that was caught the day before. Many places will ship it in quickly. You just have to ask when they get it. Whole Foods is known for having good fish. 

Tofu is a simple dish for us. If we don't feel well we grab it. We make teriyaki marinade (have to with the gluten free thing), marinate it for 15 minutes, and grill it simply. It is so good. Slice it and serve with veggies. I grill those too. Right on the stove on a grill pan. Love my grill pans. 

Quoting cemcnair:

Igotcha! I live too far inland for fresh fish, other than the catfish pond, but I would love fresh seafood!

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting black.eyeliner:

cemcnair
by Courtney on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Thanks! Apparently I was supposed to drain it or press it or something?
We dint have a whole foods or anything. Just our small local co-op and they don't carry fish.

Quoting black.eyeliner:

You might be shocked how easily you can get fish that was caught the day before. Many places will ship it in quickly. You just have to ask when they get it. Whole Foods is known for having good fish. 

Tofu is a simple dish for us. If we don't feel well we grab it. We make teriyaki marinade (have to with the gluten free thing), marinate it for 15 minutes, and grill it simply. It is so good. Slice it and serve with veggies. I grill those too. Right on the stove on a grill pan. Love my grill pans. 

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black.eyeliner
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Oh I forgot the necessary details. I have been working all day and I am sore and tired. Yes press it and use firm tofu if you can. Oh and if you want fish then you can order it to be shipped to you. I know my aunt does this in Georgia for certain functions. She can not get good fish either since she is in the middle of nowhere. The fish is shipped to the grocery stores and fish mongers anyway so why not you for that certain special occassion. I am lucky to live where I am and I know it. We picked this location for this and a few other reasons.

Quoting cemcnair:

Thanks! Apparently I was supposed to drain it or press it or something?
We dint have a whole foods or anything. Just our small local co-op and they don't carry fish.

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Miranda1127
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM

we avoid process foods. Some staples....rice, veggies, fruits, tea leaves, herbs....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)