Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

how did it become alternative?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

a post got me thinking how the hell did breastfeeding become alternative.. seriously? side notes I am vegan, non-vaccinating, green/eco, and simply anti chemicals. how did all these things become the alternative to normal living.. because if you think of it.. breasfeeding=natural, eating plants and grains=natural, cleaning with herbs and water and natural vinegar=natural, not injecting chemicals and compounds into the body= natural(this one is more contraversal i will admit but i am not saying you shouldnt do it im saying i dont want/will not do it, even if i dont agree with what you say i will fight to the death your right to say it) Im not saying my lifestyle is better or anything of the sort my real vent is why do we need to label anyone as alternative? we are all just people trying to do our best and im tired of stigmas being attached because i dont do what everyone else does... i feel no stigma towards anyone else.. so why are we constantly labeling others? 

also annoyed im being called altenative in every flipping aspect of my life.. when i really just feel like im no different!

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this
This is all very true. Industrial revolution brought about most of these changes and then the mindset of convenience took over.
Very good post-I feel ya!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedDragon
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I never thought this lifestyle we chose is an alternative type style.  It's just normal for us, alternative to people who don't understand why we do what we do.  

Chillisarah
by Hippie Bombshell on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cemcnair:

This is all very true. Industrial revolution brought about most of these changes and then the mindset of convenience took over.
Very good post-I feel ya!!

ditto

Honeybunches26
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM

i really didnt either until recently ppl keep saying its so interesting how much of a hippy you are, or how anti-establishmen(which im not, i am okay with the gov having some power for certain freedoms) or how alternative we are and how hard it must be.. which its not for me its soooooo simple to just do what we do.. which btw today im gardening my plants are starting to peak! anyway.. and then on here in some of my groups ppl keep being told how breastfeeding isnt neccessary and they are choosing to do things the hard way and its not benifical after six weeks or six months.. and i realized why am i considered odd for just living my life however i live it.. i never think anyone else is odd so why is it so neccessary for some ppl to attach stigmas to anything unlike themselves!? 

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

I never thought this lifestyle we chose is an alternative type style.  It's just normal for us, alternative to people who don't understand why we do what we do.  

chrissysnow22
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Because society is lazy. Most all changes came to make life easier, save us time etc.. Not realizing we are living a second rate life.
We eat unhealthy wonder why we are obese, and sick.
We drive everywhere and wonder why we miss all sorts of beautiful sights, and our earth is polluted.
We clean our house with tons of hazardous chemicals and wonder why we are allergic to everything, why we are constantly sick and so on. All so we don't have scrub our own mess. The philosophy of the mainstream smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedDragon
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

When it comes to the sustainability of our lives, you have to be open to trying new things.  Well that is how other people may look at us.  But in real life, their are a lot more families becoming like us then they believe.   I am friends with some homeschooling mom's in the area we live in, and the way they talk with how things run in their families is exactly like ours.  The only difference is, we may not necessarily buy all the same items.  The use over the counter shampoos, but a good majority use vinegar and water for cleaning and baking soda.  My DF gets more compliments about how good his clothes smell at work then before, and he tells them that I make our laundry detergent.  Next thing I know people want me to make a small batch for them to try out.  lol!  I may not turn anyone over to the lighter side...lol  but I do make them open their eyes to the potential possibilities and how much easier it is to change.  

Quoting Honeybunches26:

i really didnt either until recently ppl keep saying its so interesting how much of a hippy you are, or how anti-establishmen(which im not, i am okay with the gov having some power for certain freedoms) or how alternative we are and how hard it must be.. which its not for me its soooooo simple to just do what we do.. which btw today im gardening my plants are starting to peak! anyway.. and then on here in some of my groups ppl keep being told how breastfeeding isnt neccessary and they are choosing to do things the hard way and its not benifical after six weeks or six months.. and i realized why am i considered odd for just living my life however i live it.. i never think anyone else is odd so why is it so neccessary for some ppl to attach stigmas to anything unlike themselves!? 

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

SalmonBerry87
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I completely agree with Chrissy! I was going to say convienence as well.
I don't mind being considered alternative, I wholeheartedly embrance being a hippie. I love it. How other people look at and label me is not a reflection of me but of THEM. :)

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Because society is lazy. Most all changes came to make life easier, save us time etc.. Not realizing we are living a second rate life.

We drive everywhere and wonder why we miss all sorts of beautiful sights, and our earth is polluted.

We clean our house with tons of hazardous chemicals and wonder why we are allergic to everything, why we are constantly sick and so on. All so we don't have scrub our own mess. The philosophy of the mainstream smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VarelaClan
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I consider myself natural, not alternative. I totally see what you're saying. This way of life should be the "normal". It's what's been around since the beginning of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sonogal
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Quoting SalmonBerry87:

I don't mind being considered alternative, I wholeheartedly embrance being a hippie. I love it. How other people look at and label me is not a reflection of me but of THEM. :)

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I agree with both ladies.

~ Julie ~

chrissysnow22
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Of course you do. We're twins!
I love being me too. We are awesome hippies!

Quoting SalmonBerry87:

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN