Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

I don't want to buy halloween costumes

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son wants to be Bill Nye.  That shouldn't be too bad.  I'm hoping to find a used adult's button up shirt I can turn into a lab coat then I just need a bow tie.

My daughter wants this one...

<em>Costumes</em> For All Occasions FW114121TL <em>Catarina Toddler Costume</em> 3T-4T

And we have this...

so I'm thinking a no sew tutu black, thin, and long over the pettiskirt.  I can put ribbon on the front of the leotard.  Some leggings (which I think we have actually).  Black gloves with ribbon (once again I think we have it maybe).  Then I just need ears and a tail.  Any idea how to make those?  What do you think?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM
I'm sure u can find everything u need for bill nye at goodwill. I am shocked kids today even know who he is lol. I loved him growing up.
JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Oh we have every episode ever made on DVD.  He loves them!  He loves science so it's right up his alley.

Quoting Fields456:

I'm sure u can find everything u need for bill nye at goodwill. I am shocked kids today even know who he is lol. I loved him growing up.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Nutmeg101
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM
I made ears out of a headband- and Felt. This was "Pre sewing" days-do I cut out black and pink felt into ear shapes- with a little extra on the black to wrap around the headband. Hot glue it together- and hot glue the pink "inside" onto the ears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nutmeg101
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Tail- take blck fabric- sew a tube-turn it inside out- stuff, and see onto a piece of elastic to go around her waist.

Or....... A black tie from goodwill-

Or a duster thingy- they make them that have short "bristles"- might be able to spray paint it black- and attach it somehow...

If worse comes to worst- Walmart usually has the "add on" pieces like that for $5 or so..... (have done that, too)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Quoting JasonsMom2007:

That's awesome.
mommaGof3
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Have you checked pinterest? They have tons of diy ideas for costumes. I am pretty sure you can find something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedDragon
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Well the ears and the tail, could be black furry cloth,  and a little bit of wire so it just won't hang there.  The ears can be on a headband.  You should have no problem with that costume.  I am honestly not sure if we are doing costumes this year.  The last year we didn't even go Trick or Treating.  But my kids are getting older.  They have a monster boo bash over in the next town we may try out.  =)  Good Luck on the costumes!!!  

cemcnair
by Courtney on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM
That should be easy! Head band and some felt for the ears. Tail-use some cloth with semi-stiff wire!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Btw-it's so cute that J wants to be bill nye!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovingJayMom
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM
That sounds like a good plan
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN