Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

How are you saving money?

Posted by   + Show Post

10 Seriously Easy Ways to Save Money Each Month

Posted by Jeanne Sager on September 5, 2012 

coin jarBack to school shopping season is officially over, which means the holidays are coming up on us fast. And you know what that means: you're going to need cash soon. But if you're broke right now, is there really any hope of saving enough money to make the holidays jolly?

Here's the short answer: yes. How about the long one? You can save money, if you really want to. It's more or less that simple, because really wanting to save some cash each month should be enough motivation to actually commit to a saving plan. And committing is actually more important than how you save, because there are a ton of good ways to keep the cash from flowing out of your account every month:

1. Make a coin jar (a big Mason jar works best). Yes, this is a bit like having a piggybank when you were a kid, but it worked then, didn't it? When you come in at the end of the day, empty all your spare change into the jar. When it's full, you'll be surprised by how much you collect when you aren't losing your loose change or being tempted to spend "just 50 cents" here and there. Now the key is to actually put it in the bank!

2. Make a grocery list ... then take it with you when you shop. I make lists all the time, but remembering to actually put them in my pocket is the real key. When you aren't buying "this and that," you tend to spend less on splurges you don't really need.

3. Buy a reusable water bottle and fill it yourself. Every time you buy a 20-ounce soda or grab a 16-ounce bottle of water from the convenience store, you're spending at least $1.50. If you're doing that every day or even several times a day, you're killing your wallet. Fill a big bottle with water at home or from the office sink or buy a bigger bottle of your favorite soda or juice and fill your reusable one to save.

4. Shop when you're in a hurry. You won't be tempted to overspend if you only have time to get a few quick things.

5. Make your own coffee. Really, this is common sense people!

6. Make your own lunch. Ditto!

7. Plan out big purchases. The longer time you wait between deciding to buy and actually doing it, the more time you have to realize you probably don't really need it.

8. DIY anything you can. Challenge yourself to stop buying things that can easily be made at home for less. You'll save on the actual item. You'll also potentially save because you are devoting time to mixing up a container of your own laundry detergent instead of being tempted to shop.

9. Hit the library. This isn't just for people who traditionally buy books. This is for EVERYONE. Reading library books is a cheap and fulfilling hobby, one that can keep you from stress shopping.

10. Exercise. Another cheap hobby that will keep you from stress shopping, this one will also help you cut down on your medical bills.

What are your best "save money now" tips?

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
SpiritedDragon
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Do you want to make my budget???  lol!  

Quoting Miranda1127:

I do most of what is on the list.

I also use credit cards, pay the balance monthly, and use their rewards for entertainment/household purposes. I just purchased the kids stainless steel bento boxes off of amazon w/ our discover cash back. $0 out of pocket spending. I also signed up at recyclebank.com and earn points through recycling. I cash the points in for gift cards and entertainment stuff. Over the summer I had enough points to take the kids to the please touch museum for $0 out of pocket money. I also cashed points in for home depot gc's and was able to build my garden for 1/4 of the cost.

Miranda1127
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM

lol...no thanks!

I'm a sahm, so it's somewhat of a necessity to get creative w/ the budget. W/both kids in school now a job will put a stop to that ;) Although, I have to admit, it's pretty easy. I just spend money on my card and get free rewards, and recycle and get free rewards. Easy peasy lemon squeezy ;0)

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

Quoting Miranda1127:

I also use credit cards, pay the balance monthly, and use their rewards for entertainment/household purposes. I just purchased the kids stainless steel bento boxes off of amazon w/ our discover cash back. $0 out of pocket spending. I also signed up at recyclebank.com and earn points through recycling. I cash the points in for gift cards and entertainment stuff. Over the summer I had enough points to take the kids to the please touch museum for $0 out of pocket money. I also cashed points in for home depot gc's and was able to build my garden for 1/4 of the cost.

SpiritedDragon
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

lol!  What is the deal with the recycle thing?  Can you tell us about it?  

Quoting Miranda1127:

lol...no thanks!

I'm a sahm, so it's somewhat of a necessity to get creative w/ the budget. W/both kids in school now a job will put a stop to that ;) Although, I have to admit, it's pretty easy. I just spend money on my card and get free rewards, and recycle and get free rewards. Easy peasy lemon squeezy ;0)

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

Quoting Miranda1127:

eds6619
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I do save my change.

Miranda1127
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

https://www.recyclebank.com/join/earnpoints

Check it out. My trash company offered the program, but I do believe you can sign up independently (I know you can, I'm just not exactly sure how that would work). I really don't do anything (aside from collect recycling from most of my family who does not recycle). I put my trash out once a week, they weigh the recycling and put points on my account (I avg about 100-200points a week). I also recycle electronics through this sight for points. There are other ways to gain points, but I'm lazy and don't utilize them all.

The rewards aren't to bad. 2000 (on avg) points will get you $10. So if I only did the recycling through the trash I would earn about $40 a yr. The electronic recycling really pushes the earnings over the edge though. Most of the entertainment tickets are much 'cheaper' though. I've gottenmost of our museum tickets for under 500points a pair. There are more rewards than just gc's and entertainment. I've also 'purchased' coupons....the ones where you get a % off at a specific grocer. Those are the view that I've felt I've gotten the most for my money, but there are SOOO many more rewards options.

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

lol!  What is the deal with the recycle thing?  Can you tell us about it?  

Quoting Miranda1127:

Barb10
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Oh, but I do have my bank accounts set so $50/week goes from my checking to savings.  We are finally really close to hitting our goal we set 9 years ago for our savings account!

This is a really good idea! I know this was a past post.I was just reading it now and thought what a great idea! It would really add up over the yrs even just a small amt a week.

chrissysnow22
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:47 AM
I have been transferring a small amount each pay period but I keep forgetting to set it up directly.

Quoting Barb10:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Oh, but I do have my bank accounts set so $50/week goes from my checking to savings.  We are finally really close to hitting our goal we set 9 years ago for our savings account!

This is a really good idea! I know this was a past post.I was just reading it now and thought what a great idea! It would really add up over the yrs even just a small amt a week.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn355
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Put away every five dollar bill we come across. Limit check card and take out a certain amount of cash every paycheck for groceries. Not so good yet at putting money from checking into saveings
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
consumerswin
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I save about $165 per month on my Grocery list since I changed where I shop.

Chloe

Nutmeg101
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:52 AM
This is where I hope to be headed. We didn't grow our own food- this year...

In addition to what Jess said-
We are also cutting cable (haven't watched TV in 10 months- hubs finally agrees it could go).

Quoting mommaGof3:

We do pretty much all of that. Lol.

Also making your own cleaners and laundry soaps, become a paperless household, grow your own food, dont eat out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)