Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

come on chickens!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM
  • 21 Replies
Someone online is trying to find homes for 25 chickens! There are 4 of us interested. I hope I get some! Our chickens don't come anywhere near keeping up with our egg demands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Awesome!!!
I cannot wait for mine to start laying! Currently only one is laying and her production is way down (she's an old lady). Five more should be laying anytime now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedDragon
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Good Luck Lisa!  I hope you all are able to get some.  

mommaGof3
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Fingers crossed for you Lisa!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM
How many do you currently have laying?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Only 4

Quoting cemcnair:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I think you need two per person in your house to keep up (at least what I've found). And, in the winter, maybe even three or four per person. I actually probably need at least 3 more once our 5 new ones start laying.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Only 4

Quoting cemcnair:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Are chickens a big investment? How much land do you need?  My step kids were over this weekend and we went through a dozen eggs for just one breakfast.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Depends. If you buy chicks, you can get 25 for about $70, but then you have to feed and house them for at least 5-6 months before you start getting eggs. Housing can be fairly cheap. My coop was all upcycled materials except for the fencing. You don't have to have a whole lot of space. My coop is 10'x10' with the yard slightly bigger. It was a little too small for 25 chickens (the yard, not the coop), but fits 10-15 well. I let mine out into the garden which is about an acre whenever possible-but it's not necessary.
If you purchase hens that are almost ready to lay, you will pay more per bird $15-$20 generally unless you find a good deal.
I'm honestly not sure which is cheaper once you add in all the food it takes to get chicks up to laying....
They are a ton of fun though!! My son loves to pet our chickens.

Quoting Babujai:

Are chickens a big investment? How much land do you need?  My step kids were over this weekend and we went through a dozen eggs for just one breakfast.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmommo
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I hope you get them.  We have 4 now that are laying.  It will be about another two months until 4 more are ready to start.  So far it is keeping up with our demand, but i'm allergic, so I don't eat.  We like to have extra to feed to the dogs.  

JasonsMom2007
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM
I didn't get them :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN