Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

oh yay! its growing!

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM
  • 13 Replies
I got bored, and stuck some garlic cloves in the ground. They're actually starting to grow! I wasn't expecting anything until after winter, if I got anything at all. Now I've got celery bottoms growing, I have no idea if those will take, and I've stuck some onion bottoms in there too.

If anything, I'm hoping next spring I can prepare a bed to.do some year round vegetable gardening. It's so nice finally living somewhere I can actually garden.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Nice! I love having a vegetable garden!
What do you want to plant?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandraJo
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM
I have no idea honestly. I've never had fresh vegetables that didn't come from the supermarket. I'm looking to grow potatoes hopefully since we eat so many of them. Maybe green beans, tomatoes, and Bell peppers. I know I'd like to get some pots and find some herbs at Walmart. I'm not good at growing from seed, but I can grow anything that's already started.

I thought about growing broccoli this winter, but I think it's a bit late now and Walmart has no seeds now. They were already low on supplies when we moved here in august.

Quoting cemcnair:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Potatoes are kind of hard to grow, and yes, probably a bit late for broccoli depending on where you live.
Green beans, tomatoes and peppers should be easy!

Quoting SandraJo:

I have no idea honestly. I've never had fresh vegetables that didn't come from the supermarket. I'm looking to grow potatoes hopefully since we eat so many of them. Maybe green beans, tomatoes, and Bell peppers. I know I'd like to get some pots and find some herbs at Walmart. I'm not good at growing from seed, but I can grow anything that's already started.

I thought about growing broccoli this winter, but I think it's a bit late now and Walmart has no seeds now. They were already low on supplies when we moved here in august.

Quoting cemcnair:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandraJo
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM
I know potatoes are hard, but I'll still try and maybe at one point I'll figure it out. I know celery is a hard one to grow. I started with one celery bottoms in a plate of water in my kitchen, and when I had a second celery bottom, took them both outside and planted them. The one I started in my kitchen was growing like crazy inside, then stopped growing when I planted it. It's still alive, just no difference in how it looks. The one I planted straight in the ground has JUST started growing, but it's going slow. We also have very hard dirt out here so that might be affecting their growth. I'll look at getting some soil and making a bed when we have it in our budget. I already have some wood planks to use since the hubby made beds (for sleeping) for the.kids.

Quoting cemcnair:

Potatoes are kind of hard to grow, and yes, probably a bit late for broccoli depending on where you live.

Green beans, tomatoes and peppers should be easy!

Quoting SandraJo:

Quoting cemcnair:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sonogal
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM
That is exciting! I've heard of growing potatoes in pots, thinking of trying it....but I work so much and have a terrible track record for keeping plants watered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandraJo
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM
I'll probably build a cage for my potatoes. I'm a SAHM, with one child in school, so I get bored when my DS takes a nap. I go out and check how my plant is doing and water it if needed. If the.soil is getting dry, water, if it's still damp a little, then I'll decide if it needs watering or not. Of course, my problem is my husband decides to help and flood my plants because ya know, it wasn't pure mud in the pot. And he wonders why I can't keep anything alive.

Between the kids ripping leaves off everything, and my husband overwatering, does he really think my plants will live?

Quoting sonogal:

That is exciting! I've heard of growing potatoes in pots, thinking of trying it....but I work so much and have a terrible track record for keeping plants watered.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skeletor1017
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I am going to do the Square Foot Gardening method after we move. It could help you with the hard to grow plants. I bought Mel Bartholemew's New Square Foot Gardening book and it looks like a really awesome way to go about gardening(I'm a newb).

http://www.squarefootgardening.org/get-started#!__get-started

littlepinkrose
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM

You might want to look at tilling the ground where you want to plant things.  If the ground is too hard you won't get proper growth.  I grew up with a garden we had allot of stuff.  Beets, potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, tomatoes, radishes, green beans.  I grew up in Washington State and still live here.  My dad did everything from seed  though but hey good luck ask at the seed and supply stores you may be able to find help or a book.  I wish we could have a garden but like most we do not have a backyard or any yard hello apartment living!  Would like to have a window sill herb garden my grandma had one .

SandraJo
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:37 AM
I dug up the ground before planting to make sure the dirt was nice and loose. One rain though and it compacted back down. I'm wondering if I have some sort of clay.Oh well, I'm hoping to set money aside to get soil once the holidays are all over. Right now, its just a thing of let's see what happens if I stick this outside.

Quoting littlepinkrose:

You might want to look at tilling the ground where you want to plant things.  If the ground is too hard you won't get proper growth.  I grew up with a garden we had allot of stuff.  Beets, potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, tomatoes, radishes, green beans.  I grew up in Washington State and still live here.  My dad did everything from seed  though but hey good luck ask at the seed and supply stores you may be able to find help or a book.  I wish we could have a garden but like most we do not have a backyard or any yard hello apartment living!  Would like to have a window sill herb garden my grandma had one .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Lucky!  I put garlic cloves in the my garden after sprouting them in the house and they got dug up and eaten. crying mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN