Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Laundry Detergent

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM
  • 24 Replies

I was just wondering what everyone is using. Do you make your own, or buy a great brand of natural laundry soap? Do you use some method of "fabric softening"? Do you line dry or use a dryer?

This is one of the things that rolls through my mind daily. I'm looking forward to hearing your answers!

by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM
I use a combination of sun free and my homemade batch. I use vinegar for softening. I line dry my diaper covers but use the dryer for pretty much everything else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I just started using vinegar as a fabric softener.  I'm still buying detergent (Purex), but I want to make my own.  I'm still wondering about dryer sheets though.  I'm not sure if the Bounce Bar is a good alternative or not.  It's still a big bar of chemicals, but at least it's not a box of sheets in the trash.

VioletsMomTown
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I just ordered a big box of soap nuts called Eco Nuts (I saw them on Shark Tank). They're organic and grow on a tree, likely the most natural soap you can get. There is enough in a box to do 360 loads! 35 bucks! Thats enough for a year at least for me. I don't mean to sound like a commercial, I'm just super excited to have found them...

Babujai
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

I just ordered a big box of soap nuts called Eco Nuts (I saw them on Shark Tank). They're organic and grow on a tree, likely the most natural soap you can get. There is enough in a box to do 360 loads! 35 bucks! Thats enough for a year at least for me. I don't mean to sound like a commercial, I'm just super excited to have found them...

I just checked those out online and they look really good...and perfect for someone like me who's not really a DIY person.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

Kristin0728
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I really like seventh generation but I'm on a budget. I do read ingredients and I ALWAYS go scent free and dye free, regardless of cost. Tide Free and Gentle is not the absolute best, but i believe its the best I can get for my money right now. 

I dont know how well it works, I've never tried it, but I have heard that there is a lot of soap varieties for many uses that come from Quinoa. 

cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I've used them for my diapers before. Very good product!

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
h0ckeychick
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I make my own. I have a son with extreme allergies and exzema. I also use vinegar in place of fabric softener. It saves his skin as well as a few pennies, let me tell you...I love it. It works so much better that any detergent I have used. My whites are brighter and I don't even have to pretreat for stains.

MamaMoonlight
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM

We use biokleen laundry liquid, with grapefruit seed and citrus extracts. It has a very light scent and works like crazy on our laundry. I use vinegar as a fabric softener, and sometimes baking soda in the wash. I use borax and my laundry liquid to pre-soak clothes in hot water, swishing them around a bit. It's making our whites whiter. I use the dryer on low for our clothes, and medium-high on Chris's clothes.

I would like to use the dryer less. I would also like to make my own lightly scented dryer bags for the things I do put in the dryer. Here we have lavender things everywhere, and I keep seeing stuff like that. Then I wonder if I really want all of the clothes to smell like lavender.

chrissysnow22
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM
I make my own. It only requires a little effort and it lasts so long, and saves a fortune.

I make my own fabric softener and use cut up receiver blankets for dryer sheets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I make my own. It only requires a little effort and it lasts so long, and saves a fortune.

I make my own fabric softener and use cut up receiver blankets for dryer sheets.

How do you do the dryer sheets?

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN