Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Is there a searchable database for food?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 7:42 AM
  • 11 Replies

Is there a database for food like there is for cosmetics/beauty products (skin deep- http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/) that grades food (or natural varities, at least)? I'm new to going natural/organic/additive/gmo free and wondering about various products that claim to be all natural. Like, is the soybean oil in Newman's Own a GMO? I'm just trying to find an easier way than researching every product via google.

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I don't know, but that would be fantastic!! I love the skin deep site.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Idk either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miranda1127
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I have an app called fooducate. It allows you to scan a upc and gives you easy to follow info on that product and better comparable products. It also has a good deal of healthy food info.

Miranda1127
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I just learned about Oreo, Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, Double Stuf Oreos

Here is an example for you. I scanned my late night snack and it gave me this. When I hit the alternative bar it listed b+-a+ cookies/snacks. A+ being apples and oranges and other b products being similar cookies.

chrissysnow22
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM
I have that too.

Quoting Miranda1127:

I have an app called fooducate. It allows you to scan a upc and gives you easy to follow info on that product and better comparable products. It also has a good deal of healthy food info.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miranda1127
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I love it. Obviously we all know whole foods are best. BUT realistically...well....you know. I'll hit fooducate anytime I'm picking up a packaged food and think....you know what....I could probably find something similar that is better for me. And I often do. It really came in handy when I was making big changes to our diet.

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I have that too.

Quoting Miranda1127:

VioletsMomTown
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I don't know of a website like that. I think you can safely assume if its not either organic or labelled non-GMO, then its likely GMO. There is a list for organic fruit and vegetables called the dirty dozen and clean 15, which tells which ones are the most important to buy organic, and which ones don't use pesticides so can be bought non-organic.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM
That's cool!

Quoting Miranda1127:

Here is an example for you. I scanned my late night snack and it gave me this. When I hit the alternative bar it listed b+-a+ cookies/snacks. A+ being apples and oranges and other b products being similar cookies.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amandae21
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Thanks! I'll be downloading this before my next trip.

Quoting Miranda1127:

josie900
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I like the website nutritiondata.self.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN