Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Line Drying the Clothes...

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

Well, our dryer is broken and I'm waiting for the part to arrive in the mail...and my hubby to get around to fixing it.  In the meantime I've been line drying our clothes...it's working out well, except sometimes the clothes are hard as a rock!  It's like they've been starched or something....anyone know how to fix this problem?

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Honeybunches26
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM

i dont know if there is a fix so heres a bump we line dry 80% of the time but it does make things hard unless i get them asap when they dry which is hard to perfectly time! and towels man suck on the line 

mamalusbear
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Yes, the towels and crib sheets I dried yesterday were hard as rocks.  Is there a way to time the drying, or is it just experience?

EireLass
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I line dry too. I tried the vinegar as fabric softener, that didn't work. I ended up buying Mrs. Meyers fabric softener, and use 1/2 the amount they tell.

cabrandy03
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I line dry a lot of the time.  I use vinegar as a fabric softener...it helps a little but the clothes still end up kinda stiff.  I'm not sure if theres a good solution out there, good luck, let me know if you figure out something that works!

sonogal
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM
I line dry a lot, but not towels - I mostly do mine inside. I try to shake things out a couple times while they dry, they are still stiff, but not too bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM
I cant stand line dried clothes for that very reason!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM
I love the feel. It's like a loofa after each bath :-).
cemcnair
by Courtney on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM
I'm not sure there's anything to be done :( the only thing I line dry are diapers, and I haven't noticed an issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mimimom139
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I've found that the windier the weather, the softer the clothes. I'm back to using my dryer now that the weather has turned (I'm not a cold weather person), but even when it was warm, I would take my jeans and towels off the line and put them in the dryer on "air dry" with a couple dryer balls, for about 20-30 mins.  As a matter of fact, my towels were softer dried that way than they are dried in the dryer alone. Without the use of your dryer, though, I'm not sure. You might try an extra spill cycle on your washer. Good luck.

SalmonBerry87
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I line dry in the summer. If you put towels in the dryer for about 10 mins and THEN line dry them the rest of the way they stay soft. Everything else I line dry then put in the dryer for about 15mins to soften them up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)