Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

KID APPROVED GREEN JUICE SMOOTHIE

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM
  • 5 Replies
2 moms liked this

Do you have a hard time getting your kids to eat their daily intake of fruits and veggies? Try introducing them to a kid approved green juice smoothie.

I’ve watched my niece and nephew countless times at meal time. While Jarred (3 ½ years old) is a voracious and adventurous eater his cousin, Isabella (3 years old) isn’t always keen on eating everything presented to her.

So when recently experimenting in the kitchen with different green juice smoothie recipes, I stumbled upon a greens and fruit combination that speaks to kids sweet tooth while packing a hefty punch in the nutrients department.

But the real seal of approval came from Jarred when he gulped the Kid Approved Green Juice Smoothie in seconds and requested more. So if you are interested in getting your little ones to drink their nutrients, here are six easy tips for an easy transition:

1. Start Slow. Trying to be bold and packing in extra greens on your first attempt will not win you green smoothie converts.  Instead, start with mild greens such as organic baby spinach to build your child’s palate and make for an easier transition. Add fruits that pack a punch such as kiwi, frozen mangos and berries. Experiment with filtered water, coconut water, almond milk or rice milk to add flavor. Over time, add in more green vegetables and taper down the fruit.

My nephew Jarred enjoying his Green Hulk Juice Smoothie

Jarred’s Green Hulk Juice Smoothie 

Yields 6-8 serving

2 cups organic baby spinach

2 cups organic kale

1 peeled and chopped kiwi

1 sliced granny smith apple

1 knob ginger

1 cup Trader Joe’s Frozen Mango

2 ½ cups filtered water

Add all ingredients into high-powered blender and allow to blend for 60 seconds or until everything is blended.

2. Set an Example. You can’t just expect your child to want to drink the green juice smoothie unless you set an example yourself. Incorporate a green juice smoothie into your own routine and get all members of the family involved.

3. Name Your Smoothies. Does your child have a favorite character? Why not name the drink after them?

4. Add a Straw or Special Cup. What better way to get kids to enjoy their smoothie than adding a twist to it? Jarred drank his juice in a “special” cup but adding a silly straw will do the same, just make sure to rinse any leftover smoothie and air dry.

5. Prep Together. Get your child involved in the process of green juice smoothie preparation from purchasing fruits/veggies at your local farmer’s market/grocer to slicing and blending.

6. Encourage Healthy Choices: Set a routine and boundaries for healthy eating. Case in point, when your child wants to indulge in a not-so-healthy snack, offer them a green juice smoothie instead.

Read more at http://www.kamilakveljkovic.com/#eBP2WJZ52MYHx2hO.99 
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Sounds good!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Motherswellness
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Looks great! I love smoothies and even better when the kids like it!!

chrissysnow22
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Yummy. My son hates smoothies though. He will help make them and then say 'I don't like that' before even tasting it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Chillisarah
by Hippie Bombshell on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to start doing this!

mindbodywell
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Its a great way to get little ones to not only eat their greens/fruits but also for those who want to help out in the kitchen to get involved and of course teach healthy habits : ) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN