Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Homemade icecream for homemade pedisure

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM
  • 11 Replies
Neuro wants conner on pedisure. So im making my own cause i dont like all the sugar and salt in the store bought. Recipe i have calls for 12oz ice cream. It can be any flavor. But i want it to be just plan from organic milk no sugar. I never made ice cream befor and i dont want flavorings. Its just basically for thicking and making the shake cold while getting the benifits of the whole milk. I hope i made sense. But anyone ever done this or have advice? Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I think I'm confused by your question. The doctor wants the child on Pediasure, and you want to give him ice cream? What is the problem that either of you are thinking these things are going to fix?

Pediasure is about adding more salt and electrolytes into the body. This is necessary if someone is becoming dehydrated by not drinking enough water, OR, if they drink too much water, and the salt/electrolytes come out of the cells and out of the body.

Ice cream....where does this fit into anything? We don't buy ice cream. I make it. We only drink raw milk and buy raw cream as well.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I've never made it before either. Did you find a recipe for pedi sure somewhere?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JenaSmith
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM
ur thinking pedilight. Thats what u described. Pedisure is something like carnation instant breakfast. Its to help with weight gain but it has allot sugars and artifical flavores and colors i dont want my son to have. You can make ur own version without the junk. Icecream is the milk part of the ingredients i need along with certain fruits and veggies. Its basically a shake

Quoting EireLass:

I think I'm confused by your question. The doctor wants the child on Pediasure, and you want to give him ice cream? What is the problem that either of you are thinking these things are going to fix?

Pediasure is about adding more salt and electrolytes into the body. This is necessary if someone is becoming dehydrated by not drinking enough water, OR, if they drink too much water, and the salt/electrolytes come out of the cells and out of the body.

Ice cream....where does this fit into anything? We don't buy ice cream. I make it. We only drink raw milk and buy raw cream as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenaSmith
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM
yes i have. I go to the dr tomorrow to take the baby and will talk to him more about it. Im trying to find a way to make my own icecream but may just settle for store bought til i can get the other

Quoting cemcnair:

I've never made it before either. Did you find a recipe for pedi sure somewhere?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sonogal
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Pedialyte is to add electrolytes and sodium to infants and children with vomiting and/or diarrhea.   Pediasure is to boost calories. 

Homemade Pediasure recipes call for ice cream (calories, calcium) - I've never attempted homemade ice cream without sugar.  Not sure the reason the neuro wants the OP's son on pediasure, or why OP is opposed to sugar.

Quoting EireLass:

~ Julie ~

sonogal
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Sorry!  You posted while I was typing :)

jadedcynic
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM

The entire point of the pediasure is to add those calories and nutrients, and you want to remove them?

EireLass
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Okay, now I get it. I know what that is. Pediasure. You can make ice cream with maple syrup, honey, or real cane sugar.

LuvMySavage
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Sugar is not a nutrient. Sugar has been proven to be quite toxic to the human body. The same goes for artificial food additives and dyes. Pediasure is foul and I wouldn't give it to my child either.

There are other ways to boost caloric intake. OP, I think it is a much wiser choice to make your own shakes. I have no idea about the ice cream. Good luck! We're vegan over here and sometimes eat store bought coconut ice cream. It has four or five ingredients. I'm sure you could go the same route for all natural dairy ice cream if making your own proves to be unsuccessful.

Quoting jadedcynic:

The entire point of the pediasure is to add those calories and nutrients, and you want to remove them?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ronda2012
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Agave syrup is another natural sweetener that might be good :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)