Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Small SUV?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM
  • 9 Replies

So next October the lease is up on my VW Jetta.  I love that car, but I am afraid it might be too small for the future, and I think we will need something a bit bigger, perhaps a small SUV.  But I don't want a gas guzzler, and I want to be able to put a large dog in the back of it.

Our family dynamic is myself, and husband.  We have one daughter who just turned 4, so she will be in a carseat/booster for atlest 4 more years (as required in my state).  We just got a 9 week old Collie puppy, who will be full size by the time we trade in my car.  We do not plan to have any more kids, just the one.  Both DH & I are on the short side so need to be able to reach the peddles.

I don't even know where to start in looking, as we have always had cars not SUVs.  We had 3 in mind, but would love to be able to find something a bit less expensive.  We were thinking about a Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav-4 or Ford Escape.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sonogal
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I have an Escape - it's almost 8 yrs old, and a hybrid.  I had 2 greyhounds and they fit just fine in the back - never tried to jump over the seats or anything.  I have hauled them around just about everywhere.  My Escape has been a great car - good gas mileage (around 30 mpg).  I'm looking for a sedan next spring, since I don't have the dogs anymore.

FlyingMommy747
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Quoting sonogal:

I have an Escape - it's almost 8 yrs old, and a hybrid.  I had 2 greyhounds and they fit just fine in the back - never tried to jump over the seats or anything.  I have hauled them around just about everywhere.  My Escape has been a great car - good gas mileage (around 30 mpg).  I'm looking for a sedan next spring, since I don't have the dogs anymore.

check out the Jetta, I love that car.

Alyson121
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I've allot of great things about the Honda CRv's.  Actually my sister in law drove one for  many years.  And the Rav 4 have great reviews too.  Seems like you have some great choices lined  up already

sonogal
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM
I also had a RAV 4 before I bought my Escape - it was great in the winter weather.

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

Quoting sonogal:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sonogal
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:13 AM
I'll look into the Jetta....I'm leaning towards a Suburu Legacy

Quoting sonogal:

I also had a RAV 4 before I bought my Escape - it was great in the winter weather.

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

Quoting sonogal:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StrangeDays
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM
I have a Honda CR-V, which, aside from the fact that it's a total "mom" car, it's been great for the two years I've had it. It's pretty good on gas, but the fact that it's all wheel drive makes it wonderful for the snowy winters. I would definitely recommend it as a great small suv/crossover, especially since that is what you're looking for :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlyingMommy747
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Quoting sonogal:

I'll look into the Jetta....I'm leaning towards a Suburu Legacy

Quoting sonogal:

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

Quoting sonogal:

The subarus are great also, but the are a lot more and get awful milage.  My Jetta handles just as well in the snow as a 4 wheel drive subaru.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM
I have a Subaru outback. It gets 30+ mpg and has a ton of room. Technically it's a wagon but the newer versions look like SUVs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bbyB10
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM
I have a Big monster suv an escalade ://////
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)