Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

This might sound stupid but....

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM
  • 7 Replies
What is gluten free stuff? What does vegan really mean, I'm vegetarian, I grow alot of my own food but I've neve heard of gluten free until recently! HELP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Babujai
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Gluten is a protein found in foods processed from wheat and other grains.  Some people lack the ability to process this protein.

A vegan diet excludes all animal products, including eggs, dairy, and honey.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM
^^ what she said!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WinterRosesmom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM
I thought wheat and stuff was healthy and I can live without eggs and dairy but no honey I can't do I love my bee spit!

Quoting Babujai:

Gluten is a protein found in foods processed from wheat and other grains.  Some people lack the ability to process this protein.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Grains are healthy for most of us.

Quoting WinterRosesmom:

I thought wheat and stuff was healthy and I can live without eggs and dairy but no honey I can't do I love my bee spit!

Quoting Babujai:

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

WinterRosesmom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Thank you ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:06 PM

The wheat that used to be, was not so gluten containing, but the stuff grown now is a strain which grows more hearty, and contains much more gluten. Gluten is like a glue that holds together baked foods. There is a protein in it which can't be broken down by some people and its become very common. It can cause serious side effects to your health if you are not aware of it. My daughter, and many children with autism, have gluten and dairy intolerance, and to eat gluten produces an opiate like response in their brains. To remove gluten and dairy (GFCF) is of great help to these kids and will help their gut heal, and therefore their brain will function better. It worked for us! There are other grains which contain gluten too, but just because a food is gluten free does not make it healthy, some of the gluten free foods have a ton of sugar or other bad stuff just fyi. We have cut out gluten, dairy and all sugar and grains completely. If you have issues with yeast or gastrointestinal problems, then to remove grains, sugar and starchy veg will heal you. The diet my daughter is on is GFCF but also called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Diets that cut out grains or gluten are GAPS, SCD, PALEO, GFCF and The Body Ecology Diet. Here is a link you might like (link)

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

WinterRosesmom
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Wow thank you I didn't know any of that thanks for the link too! I really appreciate it! Wow this worlds really changing

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

The wheat that used to be, was not so gluten containing, but the stuff grown now is a strain which grows more hearty, and contains much more gluten. Gluten is like a glue that holds together baked foods. There is a protein in it which can't be broken down by some people and its become very common. It can cause serious side effects to your health if you are not aware of it. My daughter, and many children with autism, have gluten and dairy intolerance, and to eat gluten produces an opiate like response in their brains. To remove gluten and dairy (GFCF) is of great help to these kids and will help their gut heal, and therefore their brain will function better. It worked for us! There are other grains which contain gluten too, but just because a food is gluten free does not make it healthy, some of the gluten free foods have a ton of sugar or other bad stuff just fyi. We have cut out gluten, dairy and all sugar and grains completely. If you have issues with yeast or gastrointestinal problems, then to remove grains, sugar and starchy veg will heal you. The diet my daughter is on is GFCF but also called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Diets that cut out grains or gluten are GAPS, SCD, PALEO, GFCF and The Body Ecology Diet. Here is a link you might like (link)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)