Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Frost bitten combs, anyone?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM
  • 8 Replies

My poor bantam roosters.  They have been cooped up because it's been so cold, but I didn't think THAT cold for them.  We came home yesterday to bloody roosters with frostbitten tips of their combs.   Most of the situations I've read about, it happens in colder weather than this.  It did get down to 10 degrees, and one of the heatlamps burned out, but one was still working.  

I feel terrible.  Luckily the temp is going back up and shouldn't dip below 20 for a couple of weeks at least.  We reinforced the coop in the meantime and replaced the bulb.  And of course we cleaned up the chickens and put some vaseline on their combs. 

has anyone else had frost bitten chickens? 

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SalmonBerry87
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Nope. This is our first winter with chickens though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
greenmommo
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Good luck!  I hope it doesn't happen to yours.  

Quoting SalmonBerry87:

Nope. This is our first winter with chickens though.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM
No but I'm in ca so we rarely get to freezing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM
I mean my tomato plants are still alive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmommo
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM
That's great!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I mean my tomato plants are still alive!
cemcnair
by Courtney on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been pretty lucky with ours. The first year I had them, we had a huge ice storm and no power for nine days. Only one got some frostbite areas, but seemed ok. It wasn't super bad though. Poor chickens!!
suetoo
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

No, but I had a frost bitten Dum Duck! Named Dander, and instead of staying in the little barn, he stood in the water dish while it froze around him. One nice vet bill later, he resided in my laundry room for two weeks with his foot covered in Vaseline and wrapped in gauze. Two toes were blackened but his webbing was ok. You should have heard him holler and kick while DH held him and I wrapped!  I told him he was lucky I didn't wrap him in bacon and stuff him!

greenmommo
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Oh no! Poor duck! And you and your DH! We thought about moving the guys to the garage, but this little rooster never stops crowing.

Quoting suetoo:

No, but I had a frost bitten Dum Duck! Named Dander, and instead of staying in the little barn, he stood in the water dish while it froze around him. One nice vet bill later, he resided in my laundry room for two weeks with his foot covered in Vaseline and wrapped in gauze. Two toes were blackened but his webbing was ok. You should have heard him holler and kick while DH held him and I wrapped!  I told him he was lucky I didn't wrap him in bacon and stuff him!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)