Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Socially Conscious Shoes?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am looking to make 'better' purchases and since I need new shoes I thought I'd start there. I did some research and did a write up of TOMS vs BOBS, but found out that there are other options!

I am wondering what the women in here wear, or what shoes you'd love to get to sort of promote a better planet?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I have to go with whatever I can find that fits my foot well and doesn't wear quickly because I have some problems with my feet and ankles so I really don't know.

EireLass
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Bob's are made in China. What are the labor laws like there?

cemcnair
by Courtney on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I really have never researched this. I do buy secondhand a lot, but not generally shoes. Shoes last me for a very long time-I haven't bought a new pair in at least three years...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OMGLasersPOWPOW
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I'm ashamed to admit shoes are my weakness! :-/

Midwife, doula, or wanting to become one?  Join the BRAND NEW group!! Midwives and Doulas I am also in need of someone to help run it/get members since it's so new, so if you want to help send me a PM!

krn210
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I haven't ever researched it either. It's something worth thinking about though. :-)

ethans_momma06
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Quoting EireLass:

Not good.

If you click on the link, you'll see that TOMS has some shoes made there too, although they state that they pay fair wages and no child labor, and good work conditions (evaluated by a 3rd party).

BOBS, gives no indications of what the work conditions are for the manufacturing of their shoes, and IMO- that's one reason I favour TOMS over BOBS.

ethans_momma06
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Quoting OMGLasersPOWPOW:

I'm ashamed to admit shoes are my weakness! :-/

I <3 shoes. I truly wish I could buy like 5 new pairs.

EireLass
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I think I'll stick to New Balance made in Massachusetts.

Quoting ethans_momma06:
Quoting EireLass:

Not good.

If you click on the link, you'll see that TOMS has some shoes made there too, although they state that they pay fair wages and no child labor, and good work conditions (evaluated by a 3rd party).

BOBS, gives no indications of what the work conditions are for the manufacturing of their shoes, and IMO- that's one reason I favour TOMS over BOBS.

chrissysnow22
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Wearing a size 12 like I do. I buy anywhere that fits. Which isn't too many places.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ethans_momma06
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I do love a good made in america product!

Quoting EireLass:

I think I'll stick to New Balance made in Massachusetts.

Quoting ethans_momma06:
Quoting EireLass:

Not good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)