Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making a compost--how to do it?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have some pavers/cement blocks leftover from a gardening project so i was thinking of using them to make a compost in the corner of my yard.  Do I have to line the bottom with anything? 

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gypsy60
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this
you dont HAVE to,but you can if you wish. Some do to stop any nutrients from going into the ground,but I have never worried about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EDDES
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

That is great you can add egg shells, coffee grinds, scraps of fruits and vegetables and all of those wonderful nutrients will be used to fortify your soil...I love your idea....of taking the time to put together a compost spot for your garden....I can hardly wait to move out of here so I can get a place that has a garden, I will definitely be doing the same exact thing and growing alot of wonderful things in my garden!!!!gardening

Gypsy60
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I dont even bother to take my coffe grounds out of the fliter,it is so thin and composts very fast.I also add dryer lint to mine-what i dont use for making fire starters that is.

Quoting EDDES:

That is great you can add egg shells, coffee grinds, scraps of fruits and vegetables and all of those wonderful nutrients will be used to fortify your soil...I love your idea....of taking the time to put together a compost spot for your garden....I can hardly wait to move out of here so I can get a place that has a garden, I will definitely be doing the same exact thing and growing alot of wonderful things in my garden!!!!gardening

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EDDES
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Oh okay....well that is interesting.....okay then...well I am looking forward to gardening myself so I am so glad that you have started you work on your compost. Good for you. Enjoy your garden and keeping your garden healthy and beautiful.80s pinkwelcome spring.gif

80s bluei love being here; thank you for spending time with me and sharing your thoughts. 

suetoo
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM

We tried composting, but it ended up being a varmint buffet. Raccoons, possums, and skunks would visit regularly. I didn't mind until my cats started making friends....

Pattipaws
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM

NO,  just put a layer of leaves and small branches on the ground and then start adding your compost material, just remember if you want compost faster, you need to turn it at least once a week.

lynda0322
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM

In order not to lose nutrients into the ground under it you could get some cheap plastic lining from the hardware store. Nothing exensive just some cheap gardening plastic. I used the whole roll half under and then half to cover it. It works great.

flutterbeckie3
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Good tips guys! I so want to do this soon! hopefully we will move so I can start a nice garden

Chillisarah
by Hippie Bombshell on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Lots of good tips on this post. I need to do this.

Babujai
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I'll be using these tips if I can convince my husband to get on board with composting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)