Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Any "green" solution to dogs digging in yard and garden???

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 6 Replies

Last summer I planted tomatoes. My siberian huskies tore up the garden.  They are natural diggers of course but I wonder is there anything non toxic or "green" that would deter them from digging up my plants?  Also, anything that would stop them from digging craters in my back yard?  It doesn't matter how much exercise they get.  If they are outside for any period of time they are trying to dig their way to China!  Also, wondering if there is some sort of natural thing I can use to make my grass grow back greener?  With all the doggy waste  (yes I do pick it up) around the yard it tends to get very yellow in patches.  I want a pretty yard and garden this spring!

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
birdiemom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Since they are diggers, you should look into making an acceptable digging area for them. Frame it out like a sandbox, and train them to only dig there. Treats and praise...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM

They're digging because they're bored.

You can train them to poop in the same place every time.

Gypsy60
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Have heard about something that helps urine spots,but cant remember.I know it's the concentrated urine that causes yellowing.There is different sprays you can buy that will keep dogs out of garden.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM

A well paid guard cat? Chicken wire around the garden spot? A nice dig spot is a good idea. Huskies are smart, and determined, so good luck!

rachel_2010
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I've never had a huskie, but when my dog was diggin in the grass I would move her poos into the holes, she stopped in a few weeks.   She digs now when it is hot out, she dug a little hole to lie in under a bush to get cool/shade, so I couldn't really get mad at her for that.  Maybe they are hot and need a shade shelter?

AromaDrops33
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Strong essential oils smell unpleasant to dogs but pleasant to people, and you can use them safely around plants. Mix 40 drops of citrus oils such as lemon or orange with 2 teaspoons of witch hazel and combine it with 1 cup of water to make a homemade dog repellent spray and use it to repel dogs from areas of your yard. Clove or cinnamon oil also work well to repel dogs and you can combine them with the citrus oils. These oils will not harm plants and also act as natural bug repellents for flowers and shrubbery.

If you'd life more info please feel free to message me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)