Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

I Need Composting Advice!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM
  • 5 Replies

I grew up with a good old-fashioned open compost pile right next to the garden.  However, that was Texas, and this is Hawaii.  Making an open compost pile here...well, I might as well put a little sign on the chicken wire that says "Centipede Hotel", as I would be constructing a very desirable environment for such creepy crawlies.  I do not know if you have ever seen a tropical centipede (or cockroach, for that matter), but they are big, nasty, dangerous, and nothing I want to have come up while I am turning the compost.  So, I need something that will keep the crawlies out (except for the ones I put in there, of course) and the smells in.

I am...a dreadlocks sportin', vegan food diggin', garden growin', floaty skirt wearin', bare feet steppin', from scratch cookin', non-spankin', homeschoolin', fiction writin', couponin', dog adoptin', displaced Texan, wife of a soldier and mother of a darlin'...

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Pattipaws
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

You need to have a container composter.  Here in the 48 they can be purchased at most any hardware store, or in some locations you can get them from the County extension office or master gardeners. Make a few phone calls to your local government offices and see what they could offer for free. If you get no where with them go to the hardware store and get an enclosed one, that is what I use here in PA.

vanityrayne
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Oh yes:) the Hawaiian roach.. The size of a hamster! I'd find a container:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Quoting Pattipaws:

You need to have a container composter.  Here in the 48 they can be purchased at most any hardware store, or in some locations you can get them from the County extension office or master gardeners. Make a few phone calls to your local government offices and see what they could offer for free. If you get no where with them go to the hardware store and get an enclosed one, that is what I use here in PA.

Can these be used indoors?  My garbage disposal doesn't work and I hate throwing food waste in the trash. 

Pattipaws
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:12 AM

during the cold winter months I use a cat litter container under my sink which has a tight lid, then on warm days I take it to the big composter outside. SO, any container with a tight lid would do. You need to turn  or shake the container often, and never put meat scrapes in it.

rachel_2010
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Maybe a worm bin kept inside?  Or a tumbler, a garbage can type composter that is off the ground.  I've heard they are quick b/c it is easy to mix, you could make one if you were handy and couldn't find one in a store.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN