Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

How green is it really?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 4 Replies

I watch a show on BBCAmerica called Top Gear.  It's a car show and it's hilarious.  One of the hosts is anti-green and set out to prove how "not green" the Prius was.  He pointed out that while the car itself may be gas-efficient and have low emissions the components of the car, battery and internal workings aren't green AND have to be shipped all over the world which is also not green.  Ever since then I've considered shipping in my decision on green products.

When I decided to switch to the Diva Cup I drove to a store outside of my usual area in my gas-efficient Ford Focus to buy it rather than ordering it online.  Similarly I'm trying to decide now between making my own laundry detergent and ordering Eco-Nuts online.  I have some hair products that I'd love to make, but all the recipes I have call for pure Shea butter.  I haven't found anywhere local to buy that, but I'm not sure which is greener: ordering Shea butter online and making natural products, or buying a mostly natural product in the store that was shipped already.

Have you made any green decisions based on or influenced by shipping concerns?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Gypsy60
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
No,but agree its something we need to think about.I am trying to buy local more and more,if not possible then I try to go U.S.A. at least. Ever looked at where all the fruit in Wal-Mart comes from?? Real eye opener there.Thanks for the brain jog.lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I do try to buy local, but if I can't find what I need, I'd still rather have it shipped than but commercial. Always try to ship from somewhere in the US.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM
What Courtney said.
SalmonBerry87
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I love Top Gear. The BBC version, NOT the American version.
I try to find things locally, but that means having to drive at least 30 mins in my NON gas efficiant Jeep Grand Cherokee. So if I can order it, I do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)