Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DIY Dishwasher Detergent Question

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
The recipe I found was borax, washing powder and coarse salt. All I had was regular salt so I left it out. It cleaned the dishes but left a film on the cutlery. Is that because I left out the salt? Would regular salt work?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

my recipe included citric acid. For the most part my dishes come out good. There's always that occasional food covered yucky. Citric acid is a white powder, I found it at my health food store (bulk).

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:04 AM
I can't find a good recipe. Borax is toxic so I won't use it on my dishes.
mamabear0791
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I used vinegar and baking soda in mine, but I have a counter top model. I used 2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 cup vinegar. I turned on my machine for long enough to get it going. Once it started to fill, I opened the door, added the premixed vinegar and baking soda then closed the diswasher up. It didn't do too well with things that weren't rinsed first, but worked well when I rinsed everything.

EireLass
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Quoting JasonsMom2007:

You're confusing it with boric acid. Borax is boron & salt, both mined from the earth. Borax is as toxic as baking soda.
anotherandree
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

THe recipe I use also includes citric acid and, same thing, my dishes come out great.  I have never tried it without the citric acid.  No salt?  Yes.  No citric acid?  No.

Quoting EireLass:

my recipe included citric acid. For the most part my dishes come out good. There's always that occasional food covered yucky. Citric acid is a white powder, I found it at my health food store (bulk).

Babujai
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I was starting to get both confused and concerned.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

You're confusing it with boric acid. Borax is boron & salt, both mined from the earth. Borax is as toxic as baking soda.
Babujai
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Thanks! I'll have to see if I can find that.

Quoting anotherandree:

THe recipe I use also includes citric acid and, same thing, my dishes come out great.  I have never tried it without the citric acid.  No salt?  Yes.  No citric acid?  No.

Quoting EireLass:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM
There are not many conclusive studies on the subject. It is very close to boric acid and I will not use it around my family.
Someone on here had tons of info on the stuff but I don't remember who.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Babujai
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM
I found this article: http://www.crunchybetty.com/getting-to-the-bottom-of-borax-is-it-safe-or-not

I also read up on borax on a few other sites, but the article above I think gives a pretty comprehensive and balanced view of the matter.

Bottom-line for me is I will continue using it in my dishwasher detergent, but I will be re-rinsing anything that has any residue on it. I'll try to find citric acid and see if that eliminates the residue issue.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

There are not many conclusive studies on the subject. It is very close to boric acid and I will not use it around my family.

Someone on here had tons of info on the stuff but I don't remember who.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
You have to add in citric acid. Our market sells it in bulk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)