Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Living Green Living

Questions for those who "no 'poo"

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

Since joining this group, I have read a lot of posts about going without shampoo and I truly understand the reasoning for this. You all have given me something to think about and so, I have been looking carefully at my choices now for actual shampoo. Thank you!

I am looking at labels now, trying to make sure I'm not including more aluminum into my body and I see it's not that easy. I recently picked up Loreal Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner while on sale and I like the way it feels and smells. I can't really figure out if it is truly aluminum free, due to the fact I'm not a scientist. LOL

So, I want to ask all of those who don't use shampoo and conditioner a few questions.

I am a naturally straight-thick head of hair type of girl and I truly am afraid of not using shampoo and conditioner of any kind. My hair gets really natty and frizzy and I look awful.

Do any of the no poo users have this same problem?

How do you find your hair now that you stopped shampooing?

Is your hair soft and straight or do you have a few issues with frizzies and flyaways?

How does your scalp feel? Has it become flaky or did it stop flking once you switched?

And, for those of us who do use shampoo:

Did you switch to an aluminum-free shampoo that you did like?

What would you recommend others who don't wish to give up shampoo and conditioner?

No matter that cost, I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Thanks a bunch!

Tina

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nicki.hemingway
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I have no pooed for about a year now.  I thought I had frizzy wavy hair but since no pooing I have soft curls.  I do not need to do anything other than rinse my hair most of the time.  I no poo (Baking soda and ACV) once a week and water only in between as needed.  No issues here.  If you get frizzies a tiny bit of oil (such as olive oil or macademian nut oil (smells great) can tame them while you hair heals itself. 

energygirl
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:54 AM
I tried no poo and it didn't work for me (and I really wanted it to work). I tried sulfate free Burt's bees and did NOT like it....but then tried Abba (color protectant shampoo and conditioner..bought it on amazon)...by the second or third time washing with it...I loved it! Has a coconut smell (not strong but kind of strange) and doesn't leave my hair as soft as the sulfate (bad) products...but with the abba I don't have to use any antifrizz serum (and I have always used it). I can also go a day or two between washings and it looks the same as when I just washed it. My kids use Nature's gate shampoos....but I prefer the abba. It is a bit higher priced..but the big bottle goes a long way....I realize my hair isn't as frizzy as I thought...it was just the shampoos stripping my hair of moisture. I do admire those that do no poo......I tried for a week (probably not long enough) but didn't like it...some say it can take months for hair to adjust to it....
Babujai
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I co-wash (wash with conditioner) every 3 to 4 days and use an ACV rinse every other week or so to clarify my scalp. My hair is naturally dry and curly. Co-washing has really kept my hair moisturized. Have no problem with frizz. My scalp did itch a little at first before I got a hang of how often to do the ACV rinses. I use silicone free conditioners so they rinse clean without overly coating my hair. I have used the L'Oreal EverClean conditioner, but I've been using Tresemme Naturals for months now and really that.
mamabear0791
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I have eczema, and when I have a flare in My scalp, I use baking soda and acv. I don't use it all the time, because I get pretty sweaty when working, even though I am inside. I'm a teacher and the more I think, the wetter my scalp gets. I also have thick, straight, heavy hair. It gets frizzy at times, and if I use a bit of oil, usually olive, it rights itself. I have to avoid so much stuff because of allergies, I wish no poo worked for me. Good luck!

s.connolly
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I've tried various options for "no-poo" cleanings, and did not particularily care for any of them. I did however love the fact that it was ridicuosly inexpensive to do so! Lol

I use shampoo and conditioners that are herbal and free of parabens and other harsh chemicals. I love it. My hair is so much healthier.

I think you just have to try several different brands or formulas til you find the one that works best for you.

Good Luck!

LadyHawk70
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

What is ACV? My son has a similar issue and I wonder if maybe a once a 1-2x a week no-poo might do him some good.

Quoting mamabear0791:

I have eczema, and when I have a flare in My scalp, I use baking soda and acv. I don't use it all the time, because I get pretty sweaty when working, even though I am inside. I'm a teacher and the more I think, the wetter my scalp gets. I also have thick, straight, heavy hair. It gets frizzy at times, and if I use a bit of oil, usually olive, it rights itself. I have to avoid so much stuff because of allergies, I wish no poo worked for me. Good luck!

mamabear0791
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Apple cider vinegar

Quoting LadyHawk70:

What is ACV? My son has a similar issue and I wonder if maybe a once a 1-2x a week no-poo might do him some good.

Quoting mamabear0791:

vmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM
I tried to "no poo" for about a month , then learned it would be different recipe for people who have hard water. I haven't tried that yet - been waiting for my hair to get long enough to pull back in a ponytail for the yucky phase. Butt I've got it pinned if anyone wants to see it, I'd be happy to post it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN