Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think about this "eye bling"?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM
  • 19 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - Not sure I like this look, do you?

Diamond Contacts Make Eye Bling the Next Hot Thing

Posted by Lindsay Mannering
on August 31, 2011

diamond contacts

Have you always wanted eyes that sparkle with the intensity of 1,000 diamonds? Well that's crazy -- you should stop dreaming about that because it will never come true. However, if you wish your eyes would sparkle with the intensity of oh, say, 18 diamonds, you might have a better chance of getting that wish fulfilled. An ambitious optometrist in India has made the world's first contact lenses encrusted with diamonds and gold. Blink blink, bling bling!

Dr. Chandrashekhar Chawan, director of an eye research center in Mumbai, is really excited about his latest invention -- he's already sold one pair. Cha-bling! The lenses cost between $12,000 and $16,000 and come in four varieties: 18 diamonds on white gold, 18 diamonds on yellow gold, just white gold, and just yellow gold.

Why anyone would opt out of the diamonds, I have no idea. I mean, if you're going to pay for gold contact lenses, might as well go for the diamonds too, no? Yeah!

Wait a second. Are you worried about your eye safety? Look at you, so responsible! As a contact wearer myself since the eighth grade, I've gotten so lax about lenses that I wear my dailies for weeks at time. Shh. Don't tell. Anyway, these diamond ones are apparently safe: They float a few millimeters away from the surface of the eye, whatever that means.

Dr. Chawan is optimistic that his high-fashion lenses will take off and become the next big thing -- he's even hoping they'll replace those way-too practical engagement rings. "Honey, I love you. Will you marry me?" [Opens box of contacts.]

I don't know, I don't really see these taking off.

Do you?

by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    LivinDeadGurl
    by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I think they look neat, but there is no way I would get them.

Neelah
    by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I could see it being very cool for people like Vegas showgirls or high fashion models, but otherwise...not so much. Pretty, but not really practical.

KiaC
    by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I like the look of it but would never do it.  I have bad enough eyesight, don't need to risk it with diamonds in my eyes. 

Trixi.VonLace
    by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Uhhh creepy LOL! It reminds me of sparkling zombie eyes.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    MommieOfCamden
    by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 4:09 PM

It scares me....ZOMBIE!!!!!!

Katikins
    by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Umm I think they are really artistic looking and would be perfect for a fashion shoot. Everyday use...not so much. Would it be dangerous having diamonds that close to your eyes?

Cuffd
    by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM
    I think this is very unique . however i wouldn't do it if i had that much money wouldn't spend it on contacts . . . but people who do have the money i can see them buying these.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    littleinsect
    by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM
    That's super super creepy. I have a hard enough time wearing regular contact lenses. I really can imagine having gold or diamonds in your eyes can be safe though b
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    kika.fleur
    by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Uh... no. I have better uses for that kind of money than buying contacts.

Vinterland
    by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I agree.

Quoting Neelah:

I could see it being very cool for people like Vegas showgirls or high fashion models, but otherwise...not so much. Pretty, but not really practical.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)