Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

What do you think about this "eye bling"?

Posted by   + Show Post

I saw this in The Stir - Not sure I like this look, do you?

Diamond Contacts Make Eye Bling the Next Hot Thing

Posted by Lindsay Mannering
on August 31, 2011

diamond contacts

Have you always wanted eyes that sparkle with the intensity of 1,000 diamonds? Well that's crazy -- you should stop dreaming about that because it will never come true. However, if you wish your eyes would sparkle with the intensity of oh, say, 18 diamonds, you might have a better chance of getting that wish fulfilled. An ambitious optometrist in India has made the world's first contact lenses encrusted with diamonds and gold. Blink blink, bling bling!

Dr. Chandrashekhar Chawan, director of an eye research center in Mumbai, is really excited about his latest invention -- he's already sold one pair. Cha-bling! The lenses cost between $12,000 and $16,000 and come in four varieties: 18 diamonds on white gold, 18 diamonds on yellow gold, just white gold, and just yellow gold.

Why anyone would opt out of the diamonds, I have no idea. I mean, if you're going to pay for gold contact lenses, might as well go for the diamonds too, no? Yeah!

Wait a second. Are you worried about your eye safety? Look at you, so responsible! As a contact wearer myself since the eighth grade, I've gotten so lax about lenses that I wear my dailies for weeks at time. Shh. Don't tell. Anyway, these diamond ones are apparently safe: They float a few millimeters away from the surface of the eye, whatever that means.

Dr. Chawan is optimistic that his high-fashion lenses will take off and become the next big thing -- he's even hoping they'll replace those way-too practical engagement rings. "Honey, I love you. Will you marry me?" [Opens box of contacts.]

I don't know, I don't really see these taking off.

Do you?

by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    Replies (11-19):
    jellybeanjean
    by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

cool I would wear it if I could afford it and if I was still clubbing =P

hugss
    Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
    Today at 12:18 AM
    Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I like it & wish for myself,
    It would improve my eye look :)

idee
    by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I think that they could be popular among a few people like people with the money to spend.

I personally don't mess with my eyes and would not even wear colored contacts.

catherine595
    by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

no

suesues
    by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM

crazy my dau wears blue ones that crazy enough for me you cant wear them for ever you must throw them away afer a while

Chillisarah
    by Sarah-Marie on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM

cool but creepy

Redwall
    by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM

OMG.  Yes, it looks kind of pretty, but I can't imagine it's good for eyes!

ittyprincess604
    by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM

they look awesome, but I dont see them getting too big, maybe among celebrities, in movies and what not. Im sure people will purchace them, but not too sure itll be a whole bunch of people

JavaMom2one
    by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Uhhhhhh, I'm not so sure about putting diamonds in your eyes.  I can't see how it would be comfortable, you'd be bound to feel something when you blink.  I find it hard that this will be a trend that takes off.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)