Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rude things that people say....

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM
  • 143 Replies
5 moms liked this

Some of you are on my FB and this is related to that update.

Have you ever been judged for how you look? Can you share your experience? Only if you feel comfortable of course :) I thought this was fitting for our beauty forum. 

I had a mom at my son's school who is ALWAYS trying to hold/pick up my daughter Letty who is 3. Letty can't stand her for some unknown reason. That's just how kids are. Yesterday this mom tries to give Letty a hug, Letty yells "no thank you" then the mom looks at me, laughs and says:

"Why is your daughter scared of me?! Her mom has a shaved head and spiderwebs tattooed on her hands" 

I was TOTALLY caught off guard....I have never had anyone judge me for my tattoos, not to my face at least. I ended up making a awkward laugh noise and walking away. 

I was really upset for a while. I had time to meditate last night, think about the situation and let go of my anger. It makes my heart very sad that people judge others for how they look, I know my son is going to have to face a lot of people like this woman in his future due to the fact he is disabled. I learned a lot from this experience and I'm now even more determined to teach my children that every single person in this world deserves love and respect. I'm proud to be "different" and I will continue to be true to myself and treat others the way I deserve to be treated <3

I'd love to hear your opinions/stories. 

xx

by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KiaC
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have said Letty doesn't like you cause you're a bitch but that's just me.  I don't always think before I speak.  I've had a couple of older ladies tell me I'm so pretty but why did I ruin it by getting tattoos or piercings.  I often covered my tattoos when at work and I've had a couple of people that saw them for the first time say they thought I wasn't like that, whatever that means.  I guess that's one of the reasons why I posted the question about getting a 1/2 sleeve. 

alibrezzy154
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:27 PM
3 moms liked this

I have a skin disorder. psorasis really bad it's all over my arms and legs. I was made fun of my entire life as a kid. I'm not anymore more but there are alot of people that ask questions about it. I've gotten pretty tough skin from it and your doing an awesome job your an awesome person. just keep being you hun that's all that matters!!!

MommieOfCamden
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, so true, people are ignorant. I love my tattoos and I refuse to be ashamed of them!!!! <3

Quoting KiaC:

I would have said Letty doesn't like you cause you're a bitch but that's just me.  I don't always think before I speak.  I've had a couple of older ladies tell me I'm so pretty but why did I ruin it by getting tattoos or piercings.  I often covered my tattoos when at work and I've had a couple of people that saw them for the first time say they thought I wasn't like that, whatever that means.  I guess that's one of the reasons why I posted the question about getting a 1/2 sleeve. 

Katikins
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I got a lot of nasty comments when I had my nose pierced. I wanted it pierced for as long as I can remember so on my 19th birthday I got it done. I LOVE LOVE LOVED it but I got so many nasty things said about it that I took it out and let the hole close up. I only had it for about a year or so. I miss having it now.  I also get comments ALL the time about my weight...people tell me all the time I am to pretty to be so fat or It's such a shame I am so heavy because I could be so pretty. My father in law calls me his "Fatty in law" and at a huge family get together at a very public crowded resteraunt he asked "How his fat daughter in law was doing?"

Travis gets crap from his co-workers all the time about the makeup I wear. He even had a co-worker approach him and ask Travis if I was a hooker because I wore "WHORE" makeup and only a "whore" would walk around like that.  It has gotten to the point that I either go without makeup or wear only neutral makeup to Eli's school and I refuse to go into Travs work place.  I love my makeup and I want to get my nose re-pierced and I want a tattoo on the back of my neck but I don't want my kids or my husband to have to be judged because of it. 

johnnybgood
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2011 at 7:12 AM
I haven't had any super bad experiences yet. I just always give people the impression I'm not very nice Bc I'm so quiet. My family on my side are republican right wings who are very judgmental, I feel like they judge me a lot Bc I never went to college, I married a man with head to toe tattoos. When we left active duty life they freaked out on us. I just feel like some people think their way is the best way, when it's not. I dont know what I'd do if someone said that to me, I'd probably cry right then and there, I'm such a cry baby anyway!! You're very strong for just walking away! (:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mspecan_tan
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Ha ... thats probably something I would have said as well.

Quoting KiaC:

mspecan_tan
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Well I was very skinny before Elijah ... and if I get one more comment about how my hips have spread, putting on weight, thick, etc ... I could scream ... and its usually always ended with "but it looks good on you" .. like really?!?

mspecan_tan
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Sorry Steph you had to endure such foolishness.

Trixi.VonLace
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM
6 moms liked this
I get dirty looks all the time, I get the "normal" moms talking behind my back and not giving me the time of day. I have heard some think I must be on drugs to look like this lol! Richards family is Mormon and they always have something to say about my tattoos and style.

The funny part is, if people would just get to know me, they would be surprised. I actually had someone choke on there coffee when she found out I teach sunday school lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BellaTragedia
by on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Girl, you just have to keep with that mentality. people are always gonna judge, and we as individuals should please ourselves and not worry what the masses say. What do they know, close minded people.  A child has a right to have an opinion and if Letty doesn't like her I am sure there is a reason. But to say something like that?? Please!! In my experience it's always the same. I worked as a nurse before I was a SAHM. And dealt with people always judging because I have tats and piercings. Like being different in appearance made me less of an educated individual, or incapable of providing proper care. Pssssh!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)