Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Would you pay for crooked teeth?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

I saw this in The Stir - Do you agree that imperfection makes someone more "real"?

Kate Middleton Paid to Have Crooked Teeth 

on November 28, 2011 

kate middleton

So, this was news to me, but apparently, Kate Middleton has much nicer teeth now that she's been named a Duchess. Sure, I'd seen photos of Kate pre-royal makeover, but I never really took notice of her pearly whites (or unpearly whites). But now that the Daily Mail (who else?) brought it to my attention -- with photographic evidence to boot -- I see it.

The Mail, diligent news corporation that they are, was also kind enough to report what exactly Duchess Catherine had done to her teeth -- and who the "French dentistry expert" is behind them. As ridiculous and trivial as this crap can be, I must say, this tidbit is pretty fascinating.

The man responsible for Kate's Smile 2.0 is a man named Didier Fillion, and he apparently performed something on the Duchess called micro-rotations, which produces "something which is natural." Dr. Fillion's friend and fellow dentist said, "You know why they look so good? Because they are not absolutely aligned." You know what? He's right!

Too often celebrities and ol' regular folk try to look perfect. (As of right now) I call it the Dancing With the Stars look: Perfect white, straight teeth; a golden tan; hair that doesn't have a strand out of place. It doesn't look good to me. It actually looks kind of creepy and Barbie-esque. It's like a bunch of real-life airbrushed people walking around. So not chic.

If you're going to go and have some sort of cosmetic surgery or dentistry, do you. I won't judge. But do yourself a favor, don't ask for whatever you're having done to look "perfect." Be it your boobs, your nose, or your teeth. It'll just wind up looking weird. And painfully obvious.

I feel the same way about clothes and hair, too. I've never been a fan of the "totally impeccable" look. I like when hair's a little messy; eyeliner's the teensiest bit smudged; and clothes are the slightest bit "undone." It looks real to me. And, dagnabbit, it looks sexy.

So, smart move avoiding the "perfect smile" smile, Duchess C. I like your style and totally would've done the same thing.

Do you like to look "perfect"?

by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Trixi.VonLace
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Nah, perfect is over rated! Having something a little crooked or out of place a smige gives you character.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnnybgood
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Ditto! I love my buck teeth.... Lol

Quoting Trixi.VonLace:

Nah, perfect is over rated! Having something a little crooked or out of place a smige gives you character.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KiaC
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I agree that perfection is kinda creepy.  I just had this conversation with a friend the other day about us liking guys that have character and not pretty boys.  I think it adds to their charm.  My daughter is beautiful but she's not perfect and that is something I can stress to her is she doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.  I'm not sure I'd do something intentional though so I looked less perfect (I have a far way to go to be perfect).

BellaTragedia
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I do not have perfect teeth, but of all the things I wish I could fix, its my teeth. I really covet a nice smile, and I do not like mine. All else really doesn't have to be perfect. Hair is always a mess and I already wear birth control glasses. My SO has AMAZING teeth, I hope Anaylee takes after him and not me with my goblin teeth. :(  I def would not pay for an imperfect smile.

Neelah
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

After years of braces, retainers, replacements, and now a huge chip in my front tooth....hell no I wouldn't pay for imperfect! Make those suckers straight and shiny!

Vicariously
by Me on Nov. 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM

YES! I have one crooked tooth (to the right of the front 4).. It's not even that bad, but it bugs the hell out of me. My wisdom teeth made it a little more crooked as they came in. Sure glad I got those suckers out! The rest are mostly perfect, except a top one toward the back that I chipped on a lip ring back in the day. 

Anyways, I have a weird thing about teeth. Character is one thing, but some times it's more like a distraction. Just trying to be honest...

mspecan_tan
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:05 PM

This is me too ... I would like to fix my teeth and would never pay for an imperfect smile.

Quoting BellaTragedia:

I do not have perfect teeth, but of all the things I wish I could fix, its my teeth. I really covet a nice smile, and I do not like mine. All else really doesn't have to be perfect. Hair is always a mess and I already wear birth control glasses. My SO has AMAZING teeth, I hope Anaylee takes after him and not me with my goblin teeth. :(  I def would not pay for an imperfect smile.

MommieOfCamden
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I have a gap and my hubby loves it so much he refuses to let me get braces LOL!!!! I would NOT pay for "imperfect teeth"

Katikins
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 6:09 PM

My parents could not afford braces for me when I was younger so I don't have perfect teeth. I am fine with my teeth. I think we all as a society are much to worried about pefection.

TammyArms
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I have 1 crooked tooth on the bottom and it drives me NUTS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)