Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

A newb question about foundation

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 15 Replies

Okay I know this is probably a silly question but I really have no clue. Do you use liquid foundation and put powder foundation on top of it or can you use powder foundation alone? What do you ladies do? I watched a tutroial that llittlemascara posted in another post and one of the girls looked to be using liquid foundation and putting powder foundation over the liquid. I always though powder was all you needed but now I wonder. Sorry for my stupidity ladies and TYIA!

I am an: atheist, democratic party, formula fed my daughter, had my daughter out of wedlock but married the baby's daddy, 25 year old, spanking and time out using, naturally red headed, pro-choice, insecure, Bi-polar, Marilyn Manson loving, rock out to emo metal and rock, EMT profession, psychology loving sort of momma. I am anything but what you think I am.

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShutterBug3
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Wow, using powder over liquid seems like a waste to me. I use Bare Minerals powder foundation and LOVE it. I will never use a liquid again. The powder is sooo much lighter on your skin and covers wonderfully.

bloodytears1986
by Kelli on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

See that was my thinking too. Maybe it wasn't liquid foundation she was using. I'll go have to take another look at the video. What kind of nrush do you use like the powder brushes or the foundation brush? The foundation brush just seems awfully small to me but maybe I'm not using it right.

Quoting ShutterBug3:

Wow, using powder over liquid seems like a waste to me. I use Bare Minerals powder foundation and LOVE it. I will never use a liquid again. The powder is sooo much lighter on your skin and covers wonderfully.

I am an: atheist, democratic party, formula fed my daughter, had my daughter out of wedlock but married the baby's daddy, 25 year old, spanking and time out using, naturally red headed, pro-choice, insecure, Bi-polar, Marilyn Manson loving, rock out to emo metal and rock, EMT profession, psychology loving sort of momma. I am anything but what you think I am.

johnnybgood
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this
When I use liquid I use powder to set it but not powder foundation just a sheer setting powder. But when I use mineral foundation powder I just use that alone... If that makes any sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meldanielle
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I use liquid foundation (Neutrogena's Skin Clearing Oil-Free Foundation) and use the matching powder to set it. I use it because 99% of every other foundation I have tried...including Bare Minerals...breaks me out and this stuff does not. Plus it lasts all day. Setting my liquid foundation with a powder keeps the shine and oil at bay. It never feels/looks heavy and looks so natural. It's not for everyone though...just do what feels comfortable to you and what gives your skin the best results. :-)

ShutterBug3
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

My favorite brush for applying the foundatin is this brush. I have seen other brands they call them Kabuki or buki brushes for less. I use this one because when I started using this make-up it came with the set. It is seriously an awesome brush. For spots that need a little extra coverage I use this brush, again, it is awesome. I don't splurg on many things but I have been using this foundation for about 8 years now and will never use anything else. I just can not say enough good things about it.

Quoting bloodytears1986:

See that was my thinking too. Maybe it wasn't liquid foundation she was using. I'll go have to take another look at the video. What kind of nrush do you use like the powder brushes or the foundation brush? The foundation brush just seems awfully small to me but maybe I'm not using it right.

Quoting ShutterBug3:

babynurse454
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM
I also use Bare Minerals and Laura Geller makeup, I buy both brands from QVC, It does go on so smooth. I also use there makeup primer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monkeymama0710
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM
If I use a liquid, I ALWAYS wear a powder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mspecan_tan
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I use liquid and powder as well ... The powder helps set my face and makes it less oily.

Vicariously
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Powder over a liquid is a must. You should use a Kabuki brush so the powder is a very thin layer tho. Iuse a regular foundation, but you can get a sheer powder instead. It helps to control shine and set the liquid so it will last and look good all day. The coverage will look flawless if you use both.

When you apply liquid foundation use a foundation brush or sponge. With a sponge you blot. The brush you brush with lol.

These are the 2 I use. They are cheap, but good quality (got hem at Walmart). Brushes really make a world of difference when you apply makeup. I actually just switched from using the foundation brush to using a sponge for the liquid. I like it better after I learned the blotting technique.

jenny0709
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I ALWAYS use a concealer,primer,foundation and a powder (in that order) I hate liquid foundation, it is no good for me! I use L'Oreal magic smooth souffle and L'Oreal true match super-blendable powder. If i want my look to last a long time will top it all off with Rimmel stay matte powder, that is when i remember to use it hahaha.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)