Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

I'm sick of the same thing.

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM
  • 8 Replies
So my hair is really thick and only waves on the bottom. I usually straighten it. But I would like to do something different, curling, making it all wavy, put it up. Just something, for some reason I tried to curl my hair and only the ends curled. Does anyone have any ideas or know somewhere I can look? My hair is 2-3 inches below my shoulder and keep in mind my ears stick out a little. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Yesenia87
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:18 AM

You should look on youtube...that's where I get my ideas from

blessedtxmommy
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I'm with Yesenia on this one...definetly youtube it! So many tuts out there that will give you tons of ideas!  Right now spring/summer....Wavy beach curls are trending like a mofo! Try it!

Quoting Yesenia87:

You should look on youtube...that's where I get my ideas from

johnnybgood
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Yep YouTube that's where I go too. I have a funny texture too, half super curly half wave, also super thick. I'm going to go in to get it thinned soon so I can have some kind of style, lol. Do you have a lot of layers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberj88
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM
I have a couple layers but not a lot. If I have too many or their too short I look like i'm wearing a helmet.

Quoting johnnybgood:

Yep YouTube that's where I go too. I have a funny texture too, half super curly half wave, also super thick. I'm going to go in to get it thinned soon so I can have some kind of style, lol. Do you have a lot of layers?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I usually put part of my hair up, and curl it in layers.... clip up all but a small layer at the bottom, curl it, then grab another layer, curl it, etc.  Seems to hold a little better.

Vicariously
by Me on May. 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Sock Bun Curls are my favorite way to wear my hair. I have fine hair, and it doesn't hold curl very well. I used to curl with an iron, but now that I'm trying to grow my hair out I needed to cut as much heat out of my routine as possible. That's when I found the sock bun! It's so much better then a curling iron, no heat and the curls actually last!! While your hair is up it's a really pretty up do too. 

Trixi.VonLace
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Yup I'm with the other ladies, you tube!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vicariously
by Me on May. 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM

How I do Sock Bun's (to get the best curl's) -

Posted April 16th, 2012 at 04:11 PM by TiffanieJean

I really wanted to cut down on the amount of heat I use on my hair this year. So, I gave sock buns a try. I used to curl my hair once a week, but it did so much damage (I have fine hair... 1c/2a; F; ii). It took some trial and error, but I finally figured the sock bun process out, and I love the results! The curls last longer than what I would get with a curling iron, and I don't have to use any hairspray.

This is what I did for the pic ^ -

1. Air dry for 10 mins or so.

2. Add Tresemmes's Thermal Creation's Volumizing Mousse and Got2B's Heat protectant to hair. Blowdry in sections on med and then low, until almost completely dry.

3. Gather hair into a high ponytail ith a scrunchie. Take the ponytail out and hold onto the ends (still gathered; pointing to the ceiling).

4. Starting at the bottom of the rolled up sock, start to roll. As you roll, the hair will spread to the sides and front of the bun.

5. Secure with a couple bobby pins (because I don't use a hair tie) and sleep on it overnight.

I know blowdrying my hair is still using heat, but I cant help it! It's like an addiction... I can't get the volume unless I blowdry first. If I put it up damp the curls are less defined, but it still works. If you have thick or curly hair you will probably have to tweak the steps a little. Or you could leave the whole blow drying part out.

Hair ties tend to leave a crease toward the top of your head. That's why I only use a loose scrunchie or nothing. To prevent a crease with the scrunchie tie it loosely and roll it up into the base of the sock bun with your hair.

For the sock I used a mid calf length dress sock. If the rolled up sock is thicker, the curls will be larger. I've also done 2 smaller socks for tighter curls. That worked out pretty well, but I don't have pics... Keep the material of the sock in mind when you chose which one to use.

http://www.beautylish.com/a/vcvzi/how-to-sock-bun

That link ^ has the basics and a good visual for where to cut the sock and the rolling process. It's more focused on the up-do aspect of the bun.

That's from my LHC blog.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)