Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Hyperpigmentation after glycolic peel. :-(((((

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM
  • 10 Replies

I had a glycolic peel done about 2 years ago and my skin got really raw around my nose and upper lip area. Now the area looks hyperpigmentated and has a shaded look to it especially right after I wash it or get out of the shower. Gosh I hope this isn't permanent. :-( Has anyone ever used an over the counter product to get rid of hyperpigmentation on their face? I heard Meladerm is a good choice. I don't want to use anything with Hydroquinone in it. Any advice? Thanks!

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemascara
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I use glycolics sometimes, I have not done a peel in a DR office, is that what you had?  I use retin a as a regular part of my regimen, I use Obagi.  Is it redness, or truly darker skin?  Did you start using a high SPF right after the peel and stick with it dialy?  That's one start is you are not currently doing that.  I'm wondering of tose areas got a little more activated during the peel, and that skin got exposed to sun.  One products I have used for a few spots and I see good reviews on is Philosophy Miracle Worker Dark Spot corrector, and it does not have hydroquinone.  Again, you have to be 100% compliant with a good broad spectrum SPF every single day, or anything you do is in vain.  For me, retin a works best, but for some people it's too harsh.  It's something you ease into your regimen, not using every night right away.  I use it every night now, and a little goes a long way, I just mix it with my night cream, and even under my eyes.  You do need a DR to RX it (although I see it online for sale w/o an RX, but I worry it might not really be the real deal), and I really like Obagi best because it somehow is not as harsh, even at .1%, although first time users usually start with .025% or  .05%.  Again, a DR can explain why it's so veryimportant to us sunscreen not just so you don't cause even more pigmentation issues, but so that you don't cause real sun damage.

I use Garnier BB cream, I like it even better than higher end I've tried, and it has a good SPF, evens skin tone and texture and is only like $10.  I know other drugstore brands have BB creams now too, and they are great for summer or people who just don't like or need full coverage. 

Good luck, I know there are dark spot correctors in brands like Olay, Neutragena, even Proactive... I'm not sure of the ingredients.  Clinique makes one, and Estee Lauder, but I dont care for any of their skin care.  Maybe others have some ideas. :)

Vicariously
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I don't have any advice, but what LM said sounds good. Here is a BUMP anyways.

mspecan_tan
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Me either ... hopefully LM covered it for you.

Quoting Vicariously:

I don't have any advice, but what LM said sounds good. Here is a BUMP anyways.

BellaTragedia
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM

This.

Anytime you expose new skin cells to the sun you run the risk of skin damage. You HAVE to use sunblock regularly.

I use Obagi products as well as Tri Luma. But those are RX products. My best advise is to see a dermatologist. Some OTC's are known to make hyperpigmentation worse.

Quoting littlemascara:

I use glycolics sometimes, I have not done a peel in a DR office, is that what you had?  I use retin a as a regular part of my regimen, I use Obagi.  Is it redness, or truly darker skin?  Did you start using a high SPF right after the peel and stick with it dialy?  That's one start is you are not currently doing that.  I'm wondering of tose areas got a little more activated during the peel, and that skin got exposed to sun.  One products I have used for a few spots and I see good reviews on is Philosophy Miracle Worker Dark Spot corrector, and it does not have hydroquinone.  Again, you have to be 100% compliant with a good broad spectrum SPF every single day, or anything you do is in vain.  For me, retin a works best, but for some people it's too harsh.  It's something you ease into your regimen, not using every night right away.  I use it every night now, and a little goes a long way, I just mix it with my night cream, and even under my eyes.  You do need a DR to RX it (although I see it online for sale w/o an RX, but I worry it might not really be the real deal), and I really like Obagi best because it somehow is not as harsh, even at .1%, although first time users usually start with .025% or  .05%.  Again, a DR can explain why it's so veryimportant to us sunscreen not just so you don't cause even more pigmentation issues, but so that you don't cause real sun damage.

I use Garnier BB cream, I like it even better than higher end I've tried, and it has a good SPF, evens skin tone and texture and is only like $10.  I know other drugstore brands have BB creams now too, and they are great for summer or people who just don't like or need full coverage. 

Good luck, I know there are dark spot correctors in brands like Olay, Neutragena, even Proactive... I'm not sure of the ingredients.  Clinique makes one, and Estee Lauder, but I dont care for any of their skin care.  Maybe others have some ideas. :)

katienmary
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:11 AM

That is why I am so upset. I was using dermalogica Oil Free Matte Block with an spf of 20 every single day. After the peel it was so bad that it burned to put anything on it. The esthetician who did the peel on me gave me some gentle soothing booster from Dermalogica to put on it and also cortizone. Then after the burning went away I was using SOLRX sunblock 45. Literally the best on the market and it even has a water block in it. The skin was so damaged that it still ended up being hypigmentated. I'm just really upset because I had 6 peels like it done before but THAT time she burned me. :-(((

Quoting littlemascara:

katienmary
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:12 AM

That is why I am so upset. I was using dermalogica Oil Free Matte Block with an spf of 20 every single day. After the peel it was so bad that it burned to put anything on it. The esthetician who did the peel on me gave me some gentle soothing booster from Dermalogica to put on it and also cortizone. Then after the burning went away I was using SOLRX sunblock 45. Literally the best on the market and it even has a water block in it. The skin was so damaged that it still ended up being hypigmentated. I'm just really upset because I had 6 peels like it done before but THAT time she burned me. :-(((

Quoting BellaTragedia:

This.

Anytime you expose new skin cells to the sun you run the risk of skin damage. You HAVE to use sunblock regularly.

I use Obagi products as well as Tri Luma. But those are RX products. My best advise is to see a dermatologist. Some OTC's are known to make hyperpigmentation worse.

Quoting littlemascara:

littlemascara
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I would go see a dermatologist who has experience with various peels and cosmetic procedures.  I'm wondering if it's hyperpigmentation, or maybe those areas actually got LESS peeling action, so the rest of your skin got brighter and renewed and those darker areas didn't get as much.  It might be something that could be corrected by the DR with an RX topical, or another kind of peel or microdermabration possibly.  I think before you start investing time and money in any products, I'd start with an exam and find out what's really going on there.  I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, but it's very likely it can get corrected!  Good luck!

BellaTragedia
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Lil M always reads my mind !  Yes, I agree, how about seeing a derm to really see whats going on. It sounds like you did try and do all the right things. I'm sorry you had a bad experience mama.

Quoting littlemascara:

I would go see a dermatologist who has experience with various peels and cosmetic procedures.  I'm wondering if it's hyperpigmentation, or maybe those areas actually got LESS peeling action, so the rest of your skin got brighter and renewed and those darker areas didn't get as much.  It might be something that could be corrected by the DR with an RX topical, or another kind of peel or microdermabration possibly.  I think before you start investing time and money in any products, I'd start with an exam and find out what's really going on there.  I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, but it's very likely it can get corrected!  Good luck!

MamisAngels
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Sounds like either that area didn't get enough or it got too much. For it to be burning when you apply anything, that's certainly not good.
I'd see someone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I don't know anything about Meladerm, I have used the soothe line from Rodan + Fields and it helped my melasma some along with my other sensitive skin issues, but I'm using their reverse line now--it has hydroquinone in it though...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN