Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Beauty Pageants

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM
  • 13 Replies

Just curious has anyone in this group been in beauty pageants?  If so, which ones?

How do you feel about beauty pageants?

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BellaTragedia
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

<----- No pageant experience.

I have mixed feelings about pageants.

MamisAngels
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM
No personal experience being in one.
Did hair and makeup for someone participating once.
I like watching pageants.

I've seen toddlers and tiaras a couple times. I feel that can be overboard for those little girls.

*Visit my Beauty Blog*

Chillisarah
by Sarah-Marie on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I've never been in adult pageants.  But when I was little I was in them a lot.  It was fun but also not so fun too, I remember.  The moms were mean..my mom was a little mean about it too.  I really wish she would have put me in something else other than pageants because I think it was kinda pointless being that young lol,

As an adult, I adore watching pageants but I don't think I'd be in one.  I'd love to judge though!

mspecan_tan
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I've never been in any pageants and I also have mixed feelings about them.

earthangel1967
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I'd never been in a pageant but was in just local area fashion show and photo shoot modeling from 13-15 and went to modeling school at 13.

I have 5 kids now young adults 2 boys and 3 girls. I have very negative feelings about pageants at least for children whether the kids enjoy them or not I dont think they are healthy in my humble opinion or at least have more negative risks than benefits in my opinion so I never put the kids in any.

All 3 girls are seriously drop dead gorgeous and could be models.. the 2 older girls now 20 and 23 have been stopped more than once by agencies or photographers asking them to model but I didnt even have to say no (which I would have until the girls turn 18) the girls told me they were flattered but that they dont want to model and still dont ... they told me its nice to be complimented for how they look but that they dont have pride in it bc they didnt earn it and that there are tons of girls who are just as special who were born just average or less than average looking and they didnt do anything to deserve that either and that they want their accomplishments and what they are known for to be about the beautiful human beings they are on the inside and making a positive difference in the world....

I am so proud of them and  even though I was 5 ft 9 inches and only 115 lbs when I was in modeling my teacher had me stand in front of the class and told the other girls that is how they should be (underweight) and I ended up with decades of serious eating disorders from having been in modeling and body dysmorphic disorder also affected me. I didnt heal from that until I was 40...

I feel sorry for models and pageant girls bc they are constantly under a physical attributes microscope that I personally humbly feel is unhealthy.

YVONNE

jenny0709
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

No i have not. I think beauty pageants can be good and bad for different reasons. It is just not for me!!

fireeyes81
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I was in some Hooters pageants when I was a little younger... I'm not really proud of it now, and I wouldn't want my daughter to do pageants because looking back I don't think it's good for a girl or woman's self esteem to be compared to others solely based on the way they look.

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I've only done a pageant as a toddler.
Natural. I won lol yay me. I signed up for modeling got an agent and everything but I got scared and changed my mind lol they called and called asking me if I would do certain shoots. Terrified me:(
I think pageants and stuff are fine so long as it's what the child wants, the parents aren't pushy jerks and losing isn't the end of the world!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Oo judging one would be so much fun!

Quoting Chillisarah:

I've never been in adult pageants.  But when I was little I was in them a lot.  It was fun but also not so fun too, I remember.  The moms were mean..my mom was a little mean about it too.  I really wish she would have put me in something else other than pageants because I think it was kinda pointless being that young lol,

As an adult, I adore watching pageants but I don't think I'd be in one.  I'd love to judge though!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Trixi.VonLace
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Kendra was in a baby pagent when she was a year old, she got first place LOL! It wasn't the big dresses or make up or anything like that. It was a lot of fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)