Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

How I do Sock Bun's to get the best Curls -

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM
  • 15 Replies
2 moms liked this

I really wanted to cut down on the amount of heat I use on my hair this year. So, I gave sock buns a try. I used to curl my hair once a week, but it did so much damage to my fine hair. It took some trial and error, but I finally figured the sock bun process out, and I love the results! The curls last longer than what I would get with a curling iron, and I don't have to use any hairspray.

This is what I did for the pic ^ -

1. Air dry for 10 mins or so.

2. Add Tresemmes's Thermal Creation's Volumizing Mousse and Heat protectant to hair. Blowdry in sections on med/warm and then low/cool, until almost completely dry.

3. Gather hair into a high ponytail using a scrunchie. Hold onto the ends of your hair - still gathered; pointing to the ceiling. 

4. (I take the ponytail out before I roll. The ponytail just helps to gather the hair) Starting at the ends of your hair, tart to roll the sock. As you roll, the hair will spread to the sides and front of the bun.

5. Secure with a couple bobby pins and sleep on it overnight. 

I know blowdrying my hair is still using heat, but I cant help it! It's like an addiction... I can't get the volume unless I blowdry first. If I put it up damp the curls are less defined, but it still works. If you have thick or naturally curly hair you could probably leave the whole blow drying part out.

Hair ties tend to leave a crease toward the top of your head. That's why I only use a loose scrunchie or no tie at all before I roll my hair into the bun. To prevent a crease with the scrunchie tie it loosely and roll it up into the base of the sock bun with your hair.

For the sock I used a mid calf length dress sock. The thicker the rolled sock is, the bigger the curls. I've also done 2 smaller socks for tighter curls. That worked out pretty well, but I don't have pics... Keep the material of the sock in mind when you chose which one to use. You want somethign that has a tight knit as to not snag/damage your hair.

http://www.beautylish.com/a/vcvzi/how-to-sock-bun

That link ^ has the basics and a good visual for where to cut the sock and the rolling process. It's more focused on the up-do aspect of the bun.

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShutterBug3
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM

That is gorgeous! I love your hair!

mstrendygirl
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

very nice

Vicariously
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Thanks =) The pic was form a couple months ago, so my hair is a little longer now. Just grazing hip! lol Sock buns have been great because I don't do the alternative which is frying it with a curling iron.

Quoting ShutterBug3:

That is gorgeous! I love your hair!

mspecan_tan
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM

You hair is so pretty, love the curls.

BellaTragedia
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Great tip and beautiful hair!

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Look great!  I might have to try this techinique!

Vicariously
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:01 AM

It might take a couple tries to get it perfect, but it's well worth it! (My middle name is Jean =)

Quoting jellybeanjean:

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Vicariously:

It might take a couple tries to get it perfect, but it's well worth it! (My middle name is Jean =)

Quoting jellybeanjean:

Cool .... I find more people have it as a middle name ...as it's kind of an old fashioned name :P

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM

You've got lovely hair.

I wonder if this will work for short hair?

LeiOKeOla
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Beautifully Done. In the past I've used strips brown paper bag, strips of material , perm rods, thick straws, ... but this seems to be the modern day winner :-*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)