Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

What shade? What color?!

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM
  • 5 Replies
How do I know what color of concealer and foundation to get?
I can't try it on in the store...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
pixiemg1
by Amy on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I think it is a lot of trial & error.  The drugstores have good return policies so if a shade doesn't match you can take it back.  You may want to go to MAC and see what shade you are in them.  Then you could use Temptalia's Foundation Matrix to help with the colors in different brands.  Here is a link to it.  http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix

MamisAngels
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM
As a beauty consultant that is the biggest concern for women when shopping for foundation. Did you know 68% of women have a problem finding the correct shade of foundation? I hold personal consultations for shade matching so I help with finding the perfect match. But as you mentioned, unless there is a sample bottle on the shelf it's hard to pick on your own. It's trial and error and many times women are left with unused foundation because it's the wrong shade & return policies are strict at stores when it comes to opened cosmetics. You can try the personal beauty profiler at MaryKay(dot)com. It will evaluate your skin type and recommend which type of foundation is best according to your skin then shows recommended shade based on questions you answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the link, that's cool:)
I'll be trying to return a few tomorrow.
I've never been in a Mac store, only .com so hopefully they have someone willing to help.

Quoting pixiemg1:

I think it is a lot of trial & error.  The drugstores have good return policies so if a shade doesn't match you can take it back.  You may want to go to MAC and see what shade you are in them.  Then you could use Temptalia's Foundation Matrix to help with the colors in different brands.  Here is a link to it.  http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Oh hell I believe it. I'm looking around for make up consultants like mark may but so far nothing.

Thanks I'm going to try that:)

Quoting MamisAngels:

As a beauty consultant that is the biggest concern for women when shopping for foundation. Did you know 68% of women have a problem finding the correct shade of foundation? I hold personal consultations for shade matching so I help with finding the perfect match. But as you mentioned, unless there is a sample bottle on the shelf it's hard to pick on your own. It's trial and error and many times women are left with unused foundation because it's the wrong shade & return policies are strict at stores when it comes to opened cosmetics. You can try the personal beauty profiler at MaryKay(dot)com. It will evaluate your skin type and recommend which type of foundation is best according to your skin then shows recommended shade based on questions you answer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loriec
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Most department stores will let you try a swatch or something on your hand. Especially the ones with the makeup counters. You could get your  makeup done. Then you could see what may match your skin,even i you end up buying a different brand you can always get a close shade.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)