Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

pony ideas

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM
  • 7 Replies

see any you like?

best-ponytails-twist

The Twisted Pony

Knots have been big this summer — in updos, top knots, and beyond. The knotted version of the pony is placed low to keep it from looking too juvenile.

"The way to style an undone low pony like this is to start with natural texture in the hair," explains Roszak. "For hair that is straight or has a natural wave, apply Bumble and bumble Surf Spray and rough dry on a low setting with a blowdryer. Pull your hair into a ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with an elastic, then separate the hair above the pony, pulling the ends through the separated section to give it a knotted look. Wrap the loose hair around the elastic and finish by tucking the ends through the elastic."

Photo: Maria Valentino/MCV Photo

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
littlemascara
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

best-ponytails-ribbon

littlemascara
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM
best-ponytails-barrette

The Straight Edge Pony

For you mane masters out there, this tricky, unconventional pony provides a bit of a challenge. We spotted it at Christian Siriano's fall '12 show and got the scoop straight from the creator, Aveda global creative director, Antoinette Beenders.

Start with hair that's been blown straight. Part your hair in the center, then section it off into a lower and upper section. Secure the top section with an elastic to keep it out of the way, then divide the bottom hair into two sections and create an inverted braid on each side. The braid should go from your temple all the way down to the nape of your neck, following the natural curve of your hair line. Secure the braids with an elastic, leaving the ends loose.

Release the top section of hair, letting it fall over the braids so that they are no longer visible. Pull the hair back, as if you are creating a low ponytail, making sure to keep it wide and flat across the head. Using a metal comb, secure the hair in place over the braids by pushing it in horizontally at the nape of the neck. Repeat with another comb right next to it. Pin any stragglers or wispy bits with a bobby pin, then spray your whole 'do with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray to keep everything in place.

Photo: Maria Valentino/MCV Photo

littlemascara
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:53 AM
best-ponytails-loose

The "She's Come Undone" Pony

"Lately on the runway, we've been seeing a lot of variations of ponytails, whether it be the low pony — which I personally love and wear — or the high-and-tight pony," says Roszak. "A low pony, to me, is a bit more modern, and there's still a lot of room to play and make it your own."

"This low pony is the easiest of them all! To recreate this look, a girl just has to pull her hair into a pony and slide her fingers down until there are about 4 inches left until the tip, then secure with an old piece of lace or ribbon for a rough, modern, but still girlie look. Voila!"

Photo: MCV Photo

loriec
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I wear my hair like this sometimes. I call it the half way hanging down look. Good for hiding ends!

Quoting littlemascara:

best-ponytails-loose

The "She's Come Undone" Pony

"Lately on the runway, we've been seeing a lot of variations of ponytails, whether it be the low pony — which I personally love and wear — or the high-and-tight pony," says Roszak. "A low pony, to me, is a bit more modern, and there's still a lot of room to play and make it your own."

"This low pony is the easiest of them all! To recreate this look, a girl just has to pull her hair into a pony and slide her fingers down until there are about 4 inches left until the tip, then secure with an old piece of lace or ribbon for a rough, modern, but still girlie look. Voila!"

Photo: MCV Photo

littlemascara
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I like these, I think this looks better when it's smoother, and other styles are more suited to the messy look

best-ponytails-twist

The Twisted Pony

mspecan_tan
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I like the twisted and straight edge.

MamisAngels
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I agree. Those both look wearable.

Quoting mspecan_tan:

I like the twisted and straight edge.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)