Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have luck with...

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:36 AM
  • 7 Replies

...Scarguard or any other like products?  

I have a coffe table that keeps getting in my way and keep catching my shins on the the corners which leaves a small cut and scar on my shins.  These scars just dont fade away completely, the redness.

Ladies, any suggestions?

by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Vicariously
by Me on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I have tried a generic version of scarguard, but it didn't work as well as Bio Oil.  I probably didn't use it long enough anyways. Either would be better than nothing.

I have noticed that since I switched out all conventional lotion for an oil mix that my sons legs heal very quickly. He's 28 months and perpetually scratching up his knees or shins from something. My legs look better too. We both have fair skin and the pink/red marks left behind fade faster than they otherwise would.

I use a mix of Sweet Almond and Apricot Kernel Oil. Almond is naturally very high in Vitamin E and Apricot has variety of vitamins and acids that sooth irritation/inflammation and makes it a good choice for sensitive, mature or dry skin. Both are light oils that soak into the skin fast without leaving a residue.

littlemascara
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Bio Oil is mainly mineral oil.  i suggest graapeseed oil, you can get it in the grocery store where cooking oils are.  its helped surgical scars a lot on me

psych_mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Does it help with older scars. I have had various abdominal surgeries and after losing 52 pounds I would love to be able to wear a 2 piece bathing suite but I have 13 surgery scars on my abdomen.

Quoting littlemascara:

Bio Oil is mainly mineral oil.  i suggest graapeseed oil, you can get it in the grocery store where cooking oils are.  its helped surgical scars a lot on me

alibrezzy154
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

never used it or any scar things for that matter. 

Vicariously
by Me on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:54 AM

EEEW... =/ It's been sitting in the back of my closet stash for a long time. It's from my pre crunchy era lol Grapeseed Oil is supposed to be a great detangler too.

Quoting littlemascara:

littlemascara
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

Does it help with older scars. I have had various abdominal surgeries and after losing 52 pounds I would love to be able to wear a 2 piece bathing suite but I have 13 surgery scars on my abdomen.

Quoting littlemascara:

it helps with all scars in my experience, and even stretch marks.  I know several people who have used it as well and had good results.  You can also mix it with other oils.  I like 50/50 with argan oil.

littlemascara
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Vicariously:

EEEW... =/ It's been sitting in the back of my closet stash for a long time. It's from my pre crunchy era lol Grapeseed Oil is supposed to be a great detangler too.

Quoting littlemascara:

I know, yuck.  I won't use mineral oil, or any petro products.  I don't know why anyone would use mineral oil, baby oil (mineral oil witnfragrance), vaseline... yuck.

Here's a good article about it:

http://blog.healthy.co.nz/why-i-dont-stock-bio-oil/

As you can imagine I get a number of people coming into the shop asking me specifically about Bio Oil as there is just so much advertising out there about it. It really is a product promoted as “The Product for scarring”.  Now I don’t necessarily have a problem with Bio Oil itself, but when I look at the ingredients I find it hard to see why we would ever want to put this on our body !

The first ingredient in it is “Mineral Oil”, a byproduct of petroleum.  I have a book called the cosmetic ingredient glossary that defines Mineral Oil as “A heavy film forming oil and a Clear liquid mixture of hydrocarbons and a byproduct of petroleum.  It is unsuitable for lotions or shampoos as mineral oil coats our skin.  This ingredient is not designed to stay on our skin.

Mineral Oil acts as a layer that’s difficult to absorb & can clog the pores, which slows the skins’ ability to eliminate toxins.

This is such a problem, as our skin is one of our biggest eliminative organs in the body.

When our lungs, liver, kidney and our bowel are not able to keep up with their jobs dealing with those toxins and eliminating them, our body compensates and uses our skin as an eliminative organ.  Now if it is clogged up with all of this mineral oil (like what is found in the bio-oil, how is our skin supposed to do its job ?

Its almost like putting glad wrap on our skin, preventing things from penetrating through it but also prevents it from being able to breath properly.
I also read from a material safety data sheet on mineral oil which says that it skin-care-bio-oilis dangerous if swallowed or inhaled. Don’t we put Bio-Oil on our face ? How close is that to our mouth and our nose ? Isn’t it a risk that we may sometimes be breathing that in ?

It also says that Mineral Oil causes irritation to our skin, eyes and respiratory system. In fact it specifically talks about causing breathing problems if we breath it in…. But of course, aren’t the majority of people using this going to put this on their face !
Lets look at the 2nd ingredient listed on the Bio Oil label.  I cant pronounce it properly.   I looked it up and found that it is referred to as a ‘penetration enhancer’.   The info about this states that it alters the skins structure allowing other chemicals to penetrate deeper into our skin.

So the first ingredient (which is the main ingredient in the product) is a mineral oil that sits on our skin, so because of that, the second ingredient (which is the second largest ingredient in the product) is added to Bio-Oil so we can actually get it into our skin.  This does not sound good at all!

So what I have decided to do is talk about some ways that we can make our own mixtures, that are going to be beneficial for our skin and allow it to breath. These are ingredients that you can easily pick up in your health shop or some of the ingredients at your supermarket.

A good base oil is Almond Oil or Apricot Kernel Oil. Nut oils are really good because there high in essential fatty acids.  I would use about 100ml.

A good Almond Oil would be a cold pressed one and if it’s organic “even better”.

The next ingredient that I would then add to it would be something like Jojoba Oil which is absolutely fantastic for skin problems and makes a wonderful addition to the Almond Oil.  I would add around 50ml.

Then the third ingredient that I would add would be Rosehip Oil ! I would add 5-10ml.

We hear a lot about Rosehip Oil these days and it has been scientifically proven to specifically help with fine lines, Wrinkles, aging skin, damaged skin and I have had first hand experience from people who have come into my shop. Particularly young people who have got a lot of acne scaring and even within one month of trying Rosehip Oil on their skin, they were getting results. The formula started working towards healing all of those wounds and diminish and lighten all of that scarring. Even within one month the improvements were dramatic.

To our three base oils we could also add some Vitamin E. Vitamin E is really fantastic for scarring.

If you can’t get a hold of wheat germ oil (which sometimes can have a funny smell to it, some companies do a deodorised type wheat germ oil ) what I would do is get a Vitamin E capsule which most of them are just in a little soft gel. You can get a pin and prick the soft gel and squeeze the Vitamin E oil out and that’s a really good way of getting un-oxidised Vitamin E oil to add into our 3 base ingredients.  I would add the oil of 3 Vitamin E capsules.  Just prick them and squirt the oil into the mixture.

Then you can add some essential oils like lavender which would be a great ingredient to add to your own oil mix as it’s great for helping with Scarring.

Geranium would be another really good addition to put in with your base oil.

It all depends on how strong you would like your oil blend to smell, as to how much essential oil you add.  The usual dilution is a maximum of 5 drops per 10ml of carrier/base oil.  I would tend to only use 5 or 6 drops of your chosen essential oil per 100ml of base oil.

Now it’s really important to remember that if we are using essential oils that if you are pregnant then there are a number of oils that you cant use. So check below down the list as I have included all of the different oils that you can and cant use during pregnancy.

Also there are some oils that are not suitable to use for babies. So the three main ingredients that you could use if you are making a formulation up for a baby is lavender, camomile and rose oil as these are the three safest to use.

This now should have given you a lot more insight into Bio-Oil and reinforce the importance of checking your labels carefully to make sure that the ingredients you are rubbing on your skin really are worthy of being on your skin in the first place and a few ideas on how to make up your own oils. Don’t forget that if you are pregnant to check the list below.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)