Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Nail polish help

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM
  • 11 Replies

So for some reason, I have trouble with polish actually adhering to my nails. It always peals right off like it was some kind of soft removable glue. Mannies don't last longer then a few hours if I do it myself. I think my finger nails, as I don't have this issue with my toes, are too oily, help please.

by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ae86mommy
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I swipe a little polish remover on before I paint them. Let it dry first of course lol. It only happens to me with cheaper polishes. OPI never does it to me :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alibrezzy154
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I have the same problem nail polishes even the nice brands never last more then a day. I've noticed etching the nail just barely with a nail file then wiping away the dust with acetone and a cotton ball before putting on your polish or base coat does wonders.
littlemascara
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually do a quick mani, push cuticles back with an orange stick and cutlicle remover and clean my nails really well after I remove polish, and then I always use a BASE COAT.  The one I currently love os from Butter London.  Have you tried a basecoat? 

Also, a lot of products that have SPF in them muck up nail polish... so if your facial moisturizer or lotion has SPF, that could be it.  It makes polish gooey kinda.  It seems like just chemical ones, not physical blocks. 

ShutterBug3
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I was pretty much going to say what the pp's have said. Make sure your nails are really clean before you paint them. Go over each nail with nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol. Use a base coat and a good top coat.

pixiemg1
by Amy on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everyone else.  Make sure your nails are free of anything by swiping with acetone and then use a base coat.  You may need to try a few to see what works with your nails.  Everyone seems to be different. 

Vicariously
by Me on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Try a base coat and make sure that the base, color and top coat are all B3F. If 1 isn't the formaldehyde - in the one that's not - can cause the others to peel away from it.

I think the acetone idea is a very good one as well. I hope it works for you!

psych_mom
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I had this problem until I started using a base coat.

MamisAngels
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Lightly buffing the surface first, then removing the filings/nail dust & natural oils with nail polish remover on a cotton swab?
Then use a base coat first and allow to dry completely before continuing with your selected polish.

"Beauty is God's handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Zimmerchild
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM

It does it to every polish for me, but i did try swiping my nails with some acetone polish remover and it seems to be helping.

Quoting ae86mommy:

I swipe a little polish remover on before I paint them. Let it dry first of course lol. It only happens to me with cheaper polishes. OPI never does it to me :)

Zimmerchild
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I actually have several base and top coats. The one I'm using currently is L.A. Colors

I use my lotions and such at night, since that is when I shower after I go to the gym. It's a possibility, but I don't think that is it. 

Thank you for the input. :D

Quoting littlemascara:

I usually do a quick mani, push cuticles back with an orange stick and cutlicle remover and clean my nails really well after I remove polish, and then I always use a BASE COAT.  The one I currently love os from Butter London.  Have you tried a basecoat? 

Also, a lot of products that have SPF in them muck up nail polish... so if your facial moisturizer or lotion has SPF, that could be it.  It makes polish gooey kinda.  It seems like just chemical ones, not physical blocks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)