Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

mapping acne breakouts

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:01 AM
  • 16 Replies

good article! http://www.skinmedica.com/beautytalk/mapping-acne-breakouts

If you suffer from acne, you may feel like there’s no rhyme or reason to where breakouts occur. However, different areas of the face may be more susceptible to breakouts than others. The skin does not act in isolation from the rest of the body; in fact, what surfaces on the skin is often a direct reflection of what’s going on inside the body.

The forehead, nose and chin (known as the t-zone) are often oilier than the rest of the face and more apt to develop pimples, blackheads and clogged pores, whereas the skin around the eyes lacks oil glands and therefore is less breakout-prone.

The American Academy of Dermatology cites hormonal factors as primary causes of adult acne, especially in women. The chin, jaw and neck are typically more susceptible to these hormonally charged breakouts, which occur when the production of male hormones called androgens cause an increase in sebum and/or p. acnes bacteria. These fluctuations often occur during menopause, when estrogen levels decrease.

Many skin care professionals also support the connection between the foods we consume and their effect on our skin. Certain foods like meat, milk and other dairy products contain hormones that are thought to increase inflammation in the skin. In fact, recent studies confirm the role of dairy products in cases of hormonal acne.

If breakouts appear primarily on the lower half of your face, try switching to organic dairy products, which contain fewer artificial hormones; even better, reduce the amount of dairy products in your diet.

Alternative forms of medicine rely on a traditional face mapping technique to determine the source of many medical conditions, including acne. According to this system, the face is divided into regions that are affected by various dietary and lifestyle habits.

For example, eating fresh fruits and vegetables may alleviate breakouts around the lips, while acne on the cheeks can be improved through the inclusion of “cooling foods” such as winter melons, cucumbers and green beans in the diet. Other regions of the face, like the forehead, are purportedly affected by improper sleeping habits or sluggish digestion.

Often, basic changes in daily habits can improve breakouts in certain areas of the face. For instance, if you tend to break out on your forehead, consider the fact that comedogenic hair products may be clogging pores when hair touches the skin.

Cell phones or headsets—along with your hands—can easily transfer bacteria to your face. If you are prone to breakouts on the side of your face or around the chin, clean your phone with rubbing alcohol regularly and avoid touching your face or resting your face in your hands.

When in doubt, analyze the source of breakouts with guidance from your doctor—severe or persistent breakouts are best left to a dermatologist or skin care professional.

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iHay
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Um i know this may sound weird but has this been posted before?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemascara
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Quoting iHay:

it may have, I don't remember seeing it and I have memory issues anyway, lol. for all I know I posted it before, lol.   I got it in an email today. 

kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Interesting.

My breakouts appears either around the time of my period, or when I'm stressed - the latter triggers dermatitis, and my skin goes all dry, flaky and itchy and breakouts appear.

iHay
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 6:09 AM
Lol i'm pretty sure i've read it before. I have memory issues too but i don't usually remember things that didn't happen. Anyhow it is a good article :)

Quoting littlemascara:

Quoting iHay:

it may have, I don't remember seeing it and I have memory issues anyway, lol. for all I know I posted it before, lol.   I got it in an email today. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vicariously
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this

That makes a lot of sense.. I never used to get acne on my chin and jaw as bad as I do before I had my DS... I rarely (almost never) get spots anywhere else. I wonder if having a boy could have triggered higher androgen production?? My body had a hard time bouncing back. Hormones were 1 reason I lost so much hair (androgen and DHT are both forms of testosterone that cause hair loss. Male pattern balding and postnatal. I know the hair loss was caused by hormones because Nioxin corrected the problem so quickly) I'm going to have to look into this more!

Oh, and I cut almost all the dairy out of my diet in the last month and my face if finally clearing up. I really thing that was one thing that helped.

mspecan_tan
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Very interesting.

earthangel1967
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

My 17 yr old son has been suffering with acne all over his face and I took him to dermatologist and gave him oral antibiotics and topical meds but it didnt help much at all. Elijah felt so frustrated and gave up all hope and was sad. : ( The dr suggested accutane  and Elijah and I both firmly insisted no the risks with that drug arent even worth it even if it works (A popular politician in our state, his popular normally happy son suddenly unexpectedly got suicidal and killed himself at a party after being put on accutane and some other people have killed themselves and gotten psychotic on it too and so I worry about elijah with that extra since he already has bipolar disorder and anxiety panic disorder to begin with.)

fingers crossedJust recently I won him herbal supplements called ACNEASE  made by a dermatologist that is supposed to help even with bad acne and then this past week I just won him a $199 CLear Rayz laser treatment for at home use (but like what is used in dermatology offices) for acne! I am so grateful and hopeful it made me teary eyed for him!

As soon as it arrives I am going to get it to him and I hope it works.

Blinksssss YVONNE

Phippsandrea
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

bump!!!

great article. i have noticed that since i havent been eating as many fruits as usual, i have had more breakouts around my mouth.

i started keeping track of my breakouts about a yr ago. just because they were getting so severe. most of mine are horomonal ( always worse a week before my period).  but this is an interetsing way to literally map out where i am lacking in my diet. thanks for posting

littlemascara
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Quoting earthangel1967:

My 17 yr old son has been suffering with acne all over his face and I took him to dermatologist and gave him oral antibiotics and topical meds but it didnt help much at all. Elijah felt so frustrated and gave up all hope and was sad. : ( The dr suggested accutane  and Elijah and I both firmly insisted no the risks with that drug arent even worth it even if it works (A popular politician in our state, his popular normally happy son suddenly unexpectedly got suicidal and killed himself at a party after being put on accutane and some other people have killed themselves and gotten psychotic on it too and so I worry about elijah with that extra since he already has bipolar disorder and anxiety panic disorder to begin with.)

fingers crossedJust recently I won him herbal supplements called ACNEASE  made by a dermatologist that is supposed to help even with bad acne and then this past week I just won him a $199 CLear Rayz laser treatment for at home use (but like what is used in dermatology offices) for acne! I am so grateful and hopeful it made me teary eyed for him!

As soon as it arrives I am going to get it to him and I hope it works.

good luck!  and god, I thought accutane was taken off the market.  I would not take that risk either. 

Apr1l
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM
I think dermatologists are steroid an accutane pushers. Lol random but seriously I've never had any real help with any of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)