Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101
I really want to become a free lance make up artist. Does anyone know how I go about doing that? I live in Austin Texas if that helps.

TIA ladies :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Replies (21-25):
MamisAngels
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM
Each state has different requirements.
One of the best things I suggest is starting a portfolio if you haven't already. Show different looks: natural dramatic, wedding, etc.
One way I know that a lot of women have started their makeup business is by becoming a consultant with a cosmetics company for example Mary Kay. With that they at least get all the equipment they would need to get started as well as training from celebrity makeup artists. Many of the workshops give a certificate of achievement for completing things like foundation shade matching, applying eye makeup according to eye shape, etc.

One of the advantages of doing this is getting your products at a fraction of retail cost, and if your clients like what you use on them you can sell the product and make a profit that way as well. Another great benefit is that there are no territories so whatever state you're in you're allowed to work your magic because you're a business owner. And the business is set up flexibly for you to go to your clients or them coming to you, however you choose. That's just one option/example using Mary Kay. I have friends in the industry who do similar with other cosmetics companies some are privately owned so they have a smaller market but are still trying to get their products recognized. If you have a favorite brand maybe you can check their website and see if they have a "join us" option. If they do it most likely lists what the requirements are.

I feel you did well by checking with the state first. If they have no info on the site there may be no requirements.

Hopefully they give the answers you need so you can get started in the right direction.

Best wishes! & keep us updated :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Trixi.VonLace
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM
I found out I need no license or certificate to do make up here in TX :) yay! LOL! I am thinking about going with coastal scents. Your recommendations about Mary Kay is a great one! I am definitely going to look into that! Ty :)

Quoting MamisAngels:

Each state has different requirements.

One of the best things I suggest is starting a portfolio if you haven't already. Show different looks: natural dramatic, wedding, etc.

One way I know that a lot of women have started their makeup business is by becoming a consultant with a cosmetics company for example Mary Kay. With that they at least get all the equipment they would need to get started as well as training from celebrity makeup artists. Many of the workshops give a certificate of achievement for completing things like foundation shade matching, applying eye makeup according to eye shape, etc.

One of the advantages of doing this is getting your products at a fraction of retail cost, and if your clients like what you use on them you can sell the product and make a profit that way as well. Another great benefit is that there are no territories so whatever state you're in you're allowed to work your magic because you're a business owner. And the business is set up flexibly for you to go to your clients or them coming to you, however you choose. That's just one option/example using Mary Kay. I have friends in the industry who do similar with other cosmetics companies some are privately owned so they have a smaller market but are still trying to get their products recognized. If you have a favorite brand maybe you can check their website and see if they have a "join us" option. If they do it most likely lists what the requirements are.

I feel you did well by checking with the state first. If they have no info on the site there may be no requirements.

Hopefully they give the answers you need so you can get started in the right direction.

Best wishes! & keep us updated :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kika.fleur
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Everybody has given you great suggestions and insight!

Since you do a lot of Pin-Up and Rockabilly looks, I'd also approach clothing stores as well as photographers and offer services. The stores might be wanting to do shoots, or their customers might want to do a look for a special event, or someone who is new might want to ask you for a makeover.

Good luck!!

Trixi.VonLace
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Great ideas!! Thank you :)

Quoting kika.fleur:

Everybody has given you great suggestions and insight!

Since you do a lot of Pin-Up and Rockabilly looks, I'd also approach clothing stores as well as photographers and offer services. The stores might be wanting to do shoots, or their customers might want to do a look for a special event, or someone who is new might want to ask you for a makeover.

Good luck!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemascara
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 6:48 AM

I started working at a cosmetic counter, and went from there.  But yes, check out state laws.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)