Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Health Controversy: Should Kids Who Are Bullied Get Free Plastic Surgery?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM
  • 4 Replies

Health Controversy: Should Kids Who Are Bullied Get Free Plastic Surgery?

Tuesday, 07/31/2012 8:01 AM

When I watched Dr. Sanjay Gupta's report about a nonprofit that gives bullied kids free plastic surgery, my heart was both warmed and broken.

0731-bullied-teen_vg.jpg

In the video, he talks to Nadia Ilse, a 14-year-old whose classmates started harassing her about her ears when she entered the first grade. Throughout the years, they repeatedly called her "Dumbo" and "elephant ears," which she says turned her very withdrawn and antisocial--she said the constant taunting "hurt so much." She desperately wanted to have surgery to get her ears pinned back, because she believed it would keep the children from bullying her.

Her wish was recently granted by the Little Baby Face Foundation, a nonprofit that provides free corrective surgeries to children born with "facial deformities," such as cleft lips, palsies, tumors, and malformations. The organization doesn't exist to help kids who have been bullied specifically, but it does have some intention of lessening the trauma that kids with facial deformities (and their families) go through.

Nadia qualified to have her ears pinned back with the organization, and while she was under consultation with the doctor, he pointed out that her septum was crooked, and that her chin required mentoplasty so that her face would be more symmetrical. All three surgeries totaled about $40,000--free to Nadia, though--and she says that she now "feels beautiful." She was beautiful before, too, of course.

Plastic surgery has been on the rise for young Americans--more than 90,000 kids had plastic surgery in 2007. Obviously, not all of these cases were the result of bullying... but was surgery the right answer in those that were?

Is permanently changing your appearance the ideal way to deal with bullies? Won't there always be someone, somewhere, who doesn't like your nose/eyes/chin/whatever?

Read More http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/vitamin-g/2012/07/health-controversy-should-kids.html#ixzz22D8ZJ8cR

sikklyness

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mspecan_tan
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM
I'm a bit torn on this..... there are ways to handle bullying and plastic surgery is not one of them if you ask me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BellaTragedia
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I agree.

Quoting mspecan_tan:

I'm a bit torn on this..... there are ways to handle bullying and plastic surgery is not one of them if you ask me.

teal.blaze
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM

The worst part about it is that if the kid goes in to get one thing fixed, the surgeon points out beautiful little flaws that the kid didn't even notice, that now the kid wants fixed. She went in because she got teased for her ears, and ended up practically having her whole face operated on!

BellaTragedia
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Exactly!! But the lil flaws make each person an original. If we all looked the same there would be no originality. Beauty isn't being a "mold" of what someone "thinks" is beauty.

Quoting teal.blaze:

The worst part about it is that if the kid goes in to get one thing fixed, the surgeon points out beautiful little flaws that the kid didn't even notice, that now the kid wants fixed. She went in because she got teased for her ears, and ended up practically having her whole face operated on!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN