Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beauty 101 Beauty 101

Oil

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok, so after all the rave about oils I decided to start using coconut oil on my face. I will not lie, after 2 days I was in LOVE with it. My skin was soooo soft and just overall looked great. It has been almost 2 months and now I am seriously thinking I made a bad decision. I rarely break out, and if I do it is only when it is that time of the month, and not a whole lot. Over the past 2 weeks I am getting some crazy acne, particularly a lot of blackheads. Last week was very stressful, so I know that may have been a part of it, but not enough to make my face look like it does now. I don't want to give up on natural products, but if this is going to be the results I need to find something else. For those of you who have used oils what worked for your skin?

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Trixi.VonLace
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM
I had this same thing happen when I started ocm, I now use a dove bar twice a day and do ocm twice a month and I get the results I was at the beginning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 1:42 AM
R u using too much maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShutterBug3
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I really don't think so, a very small amount goes a looooong way. I've done a little reading and found that this same thing has happened with other people.

Quoting Apr1l:

R u using too much maybe?

iHay
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM
i had the problem and solution as trixi. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vicariously
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I haven't been able to use oil on my face successfully (yet. I;m about to start trying again). I have a sensitivity to tocopherol acetate - a form of Vitamin E - that is added to a lot of oils to increase stability. The toc acte can be sourced from various plants, and the origin isn't normally included in ingredients, so I'm not sure if it's one derivative in particular or all toc acte in general my skin dislikes...

Anyways, I had this problem with OCM. It was going good for about 2 weeks then slowly went down hill. I also had that horrible sunscreen incident and quit, so my OCM experience was somewhat inconclusive... Coconut Oil is pretty heavy - as far as oils go. It is considered comedogenic, so it may be that this particular oil is not compatible with your skin. I wouldn't give up yet. Try using less (just enough to spread around on your palms and barely feel it and then pat it onto your skin). If that doesn't help try Jojoba Oil. Most people get wonderful results from it and don't have a problem.

Chillisarah
by Sarah-Marie on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

oh no! sorry that happened to you.  I use coconut oil on my face and I don't experience this.  But, I also wash my face daily with Oil of Olay Total Effects cleanser.  Maybe try that and I hope you find a solution soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)